Remote brake / clutch fluid reservoirs

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:52 am

Has anybody successfully converted the standard / very difficult to access brake & clutch fluid reservoirs to a more convenient position e.g. on the bulkhead or inner wing, without changing the standard combined reservoir / master cylinders?

Obviously remote reservoirs are readily available in various sizes (& only small ones would be needed) but can these be plumbed in to the reservoir plastic cap on the master cylinder & remain leak free (cap rubber seals to the metal of the cylinder & new seals for the remote plumbing)

This would be on a 1965 S2 that is already heavily modified for sprinting / track use etc so not concerned about originality.

Just a thought ...... as my oap body is unable to fold itself into the footwell any more to change the master cylinders!
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi,
Have a look at the Gunson Eezibleed kit, the cap supplied will withstand 20 psi.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks Ron, but it's not bleeding the systems that I'm thinking about. In the garage I can deal with that & topping up using a funnel with a tube on the end.

The situation I am thinking about is more when I'm away from home & something happens that requires easier access to the reservoirs e.g. like when I had a braided brake hose fail at Castle Combe (I drive to events - car is not trailered) Replaced the hose ok, but needed to be inventive to get fluid into the brake reservoir & replace what was lost / bled through (cut a hole in one of the fingers of some heavy rubber gloves to use as a funnel!)
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:29 pm

some people reverse bleed their system using a syringe of some sort - sometimes with a special bleeder (one need to avoid injecting air when doing so) : this way, access is that of the bleeders...

just a thought ...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:38 pm

google is your friend.

"lotus elan engine bay" and select images.

Enjoy
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi,
A little more to my point rather than just a nudge!
Eezibleed Kit has a selection of master cylinder screw on tops, which have been adapted to accept a fluid transfer tube; this adapted top when fitted will withstand fluid transfer pressure of up to 20psi.
A top from this kit or a similarly modified one will replace the normal cap providing the required flexible tube connection to the remote reservoir and will not leak.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks all (& apologies to Ron for my being thick)

So, .... there's no reason why I can't buy a couple of new standard reservoir caps (readily available - I might even have some old ones in the garage) & fit these with a sealed hydraulic hose connection in the top, to connect to the remote reservoirs (single circuit brakes so only two needed)

Dave
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Remember, you'll be trying to fill a sealed chamber by gravity through a small orifice. Much easier to get a master cylinder designed for a remote reservoir
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 am

While I have replaced my brakes with a dual master cylinder and remote reservoirs my clutch master cylinder is still buried under the carbs. I carry a suitable funnel with a flexible tube extension to race meetings so I can quickly refill it from above the carbs if needed during a race meeting without dismantling things.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks all for the comments.

Obviously replacement master cylinders with remote reservoirs would be the optimal solution, but unless I pay somebody to do this it isn't going to happen (I'm just too old & stiff to undertake this myself - & tbh if I did I would convert to double circuit brakes at the same time anyway)

So, the sealed reservoir on the existing master cylinders, fed by two remote reservoirs, seems to be a solution that I can do myself (I think that the gravity feed will be fine) & the parts needed are on the way from JJC Race & Rally, plus two new brake / clutch master cylinder reservoir caps purchased on ebay.

Rohan is right about the funnel & tube, & this is what I do in the garage at home, but if I'm going to do anything I might just as well convert both brake & clutch hydraulics as described.

Thanks again - Dave
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: