How to disconnect handbrake handle?

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Is there any way to remove this type of handle from the cable, so that I can get it out of the car and apart without having to figure out how to get the cable back through the chassis? If I grab the cable I can make it wiggle around up in the handle assembly, including lengthwise play, suggesting that there's a ball-end or something that isn't rigidly attached- but of course, my wiggling couldn't set it free. The handle-shaft that slides inside the ratchet tube is twisted, causing sticky operation. I'd like to get it out and give it a good straightening and general refurbishing.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
img_20170212_173059.jpg and
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 am

I've got mine out completely, you're welcome to inspect it just off I-95 near Daytona, or I'll take photos for you.

Part of the trick is the white plastic "trigger" is released by removing the pivot pin, look closely and you'll see the pivot pin is slotted on one end, the other end is threaded. Unscrew it and the white piece just falls out and the pushrod under it tries to fall out too.

To get the cable out the other end, the nut and cross bolt must be removed, this can then be pulled out and the end of the cable has a lug welded to it that can then be lifted out.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 am

Answered this very question on here only a few days ago :)
lotuselan-plus2-f51/odd-hand-brake-lever-and-gear-stick-t38739.html#p267902
Orsom Weels wrote:you have to disconnect the inner cable from the linkage at the rear of the car to give enough free cable, you should then be able pull the handle part out of the assembly & unhook the cable from it.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks guys for the advice- it worked.

What I found was that the handle-shaft was not only twisted but bent as well, and I wasn't feeling good about it and was about to post an ad wanting a replacement if anybody had one gathering dust in their garden shed.

But I clamped it into the vise and gave it just a couple of gentle tugs in the direction of the twist, and PRESTO- it was straight! I think somebody in the past mistook it for the similar-looking type of brake handle used in Japanese cars in the '70s that do require a pull-and-twist motion to be released (I had one of these myself in a Datsun 510 years ago). Did a dry-reassembly of the handle tubes with latch mechanism and it works freely and smoothly.

So now it'll get a little more cleaning (LOTS of old grease to remove!) and a fresh bit of paint on the handle, and it should be good to go, thank goodness.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: