replacement rear wheel bearing advice

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 am

..I seem to be renewing these very 3-5k miles on the Plus 2!

The 6206 series rubber sealed bearings I last used were NTN manufacture which I understand to be a quality bearing but they had movement from day 1. That said, once removed there is no discernable wear or 'grittiness', they feel smooth and 'tight' but the wheel will move noticeably on the shaft and the side play does seems to be in the bearing race.

Any views on the best bearings to use? Do they vary from manufacture to manufacture - NSK, NTN, FSK etc?

Any further views on how to lengthen the life of them? I've just ordered new TTR hub shafts at great expense as an insurance policy (against death) and would like this to be the last time I strip down the rear hubs for a while!

PS: I've never used the tin shields on the outer bearings but will do so this time

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:17 pm

jono wrote:PS: I've never used the tin shields on the outer bearings but will do so this time

Might that be the source for at least some of the play? They fit between the bearing and the circlip. Without them what's to keep the outer races from moving the thickness of the shield on each side? Just a thought...
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Use the tin Shields - The proper lotus ones

I take it the castings are type 16 and not type 18 which has a different inner bearing

Any of the brands you mentioned will be OK just make sure you don't have a C number at the end eg C3 which is increased clearance
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks chaps,

My car has an issue 16 on one side and an issue 18 on the other! I'm guessing an accident at some point in it's past.

I have around 4 new inner issue 18 type bearings in my stash but no outers. I understand, courtesy of John Clegg, that the wider issue 18 inner bearing is the same bearing as the outer but has better sealing characteristics (which accounts for the increased width).

I have 2 new NOS tin shields, original Lotus type, which I will fit this time and see if they make any difference. The TTR shafts will make no difference other that to make me feel safer (I had one of the existing shafts welded and re turned after it spun a bearing)

I'm changing the diff ratio as well so will need some of the same bearings for that job.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Jon,

If I remember correctly from a conversation with Brammer ( my nearest bearing factor ) some time ago, NTN offer a free failure analysis for their bearings. Worth enquiring I would think.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi,
If you have one issue 16 & one issue 18 hubs then you will need to consider the different thickness inner bearing. Your new TT shafts will have circlip groove for one or the other I suspect it will be for the wide bearing.
So give it some thought, if you haven?t already, Issue 16 will not take the thicker bearing or shield so a spacer will be needed or a correctly position circlip grove for the new shaft. Adding an extra groove is not a good idea, possible stress raiser.
FWIW
Ron
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks Ron,

TTR supply a spacer rather than 2 versions of their shafts to overcome that issue.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:08 pm

...been looking into this further. The 62062RS bearings I need are made in various clearances.

The main ones are CN (normal clearance) and next is C3 (with greater clearance). Can anyone say which bearing is needed - I think CN and am now starting to wonder if I've had C3 bearings previously which may account for the lateral play?

Also seen some stuff on other forums about NTN deep groove bearings having problems which NTN refuse to acknowledge. I'm going SKF this time.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: