Testing the Little Gray Cells

PostPost by: gav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:15 am

Hi all

My front suspension set up is fully adjustable which is very much a double edged sword - so I have set all of the wishbones to the same length, set the ride height and checked the camber.

Heres the thing - with the suspension the same all round and on a new chassis, I have 1/2 degree more camber on one side compared to the other. I could dial this out by adjusting the wishbones but I really want an even start point or I'll never get to a base line position

My current thinking is that I should check that the trunnions are properly home and if they are, then look at the uprights to see if they are a matched pair (not sure how to do that yet...)

Has anyone come across a similar problem and if so, what am I missing?

Many thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:32 am

Two likely potential causes I can think of assuming the suspension has been adjusted the same on both sides with regards arm length and ride height

The suspension inner pivot pins in the chassis may be inaccurate in location by a small amount or the chassis suspension tower bent. The chassis dimensions are given in the manual but hard to check with the body on

The upright link may be bent. This typically occurs at the top of the threaded section that screws into the trunnion if you hit a kerb. The upright link are not straight to begin with so hard to check for an additional bend so you need to check two side by side to see if one is bent resulting in the stub axle being at a slightly different angle

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Id suggest that very few chassis are absolutely straight/to spec. You could spend a loooong time checking and looking for this and that - just dial it out.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Id suggest that very few chassis are absolutely straight/to spec. You could spend a loooong time checking and looking for this and that - just dial it out.

Ditto this :-) The chassis is what you have so you just have to work with it.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: