Plus 2 brake pads advice

PostPost by: jono » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:23 pm

I've done almost 9,000 miles since I got my Plus 2 on the road after a complete nut and bolt restoration. It's been brilliant - never let me down and I still love driving and improving it.

I made a decision not to fit the servo and had the front and rear calipers fully rebuilt by Classic Car Automotive and I fitted new master cylinders along with new grooved front rotors from one of the big Triumph dealers. New pads came with the car and I used these though I never knew their origin.

The brakes have been fine - powerful when required if somewhat lacking in initial bite. Occasionally I get them hot enough to be really impressive, but rarely in normal use so I'm guessing they're a fairly hard compound. I would like them to feel like this all of the time.

I now need to replace the pads - 9k miles does not seem long but the grooved rotors have probably not helped longevity.

I've noticed that the rear brakes produce a lot of dust and the rotors are highly polished - they appear to be doing a lot of work. Conversely the front discs are dull and they get rust very easily - it looks as if the brakes are biased to the rear, but I'm no expert. The front brakes squeal badly though I have no shims in place.

My question is, what should I used to replace them? Should I also get rid of the grooved rotors and fit plain ones?

I would welcome some advice based upon experience on what works well on a Plus 2 with un-servoed brakes. I am quite an enthusiastic driver by the way and do drive the car quite hard.

I was think of using EBC blackstuff pads all around or perhaps greenstuff on the front and blackstuff on the rear, with proper shims on the front. I would like a bit more bite. Not necessarily sold on EBC; any brand will do if it works.

Fitting a servo is certainly an option I would not discount and views would be welcome.

I would appreciate some advice on this based upon real world experience.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:13 am

youre right 9000k miles isn't a lot.....
I suppose it depends on the extent of your spirited driving but Id still expect a bit better....
I am completely bias as I worked in R&D for Ferodo.......
as a matter of course I always use the ds2500...theyre brilliant everyday pads that work very well when you push on...
If I had to I would then consider Pagid...and then Mintex......and then EBC.....
purely based on the fact that theyre mainly produced abroad, to shall we say, less stringent standards.....
as a matter of course we tested all our competitors pads....we found some alarming results with the RoW stuff......especially the 'copies' from China.....
just my thoughts...
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:18 pm

I also would recommend trying Ferodo DS2500. The EBC's green have much shorter life and the brake dust they leave is much more corrossive.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:59 pm

I used EBC Green Stuff front and rear, plus grooved front discs on my Elise and they were brilliant for the road with increased feel and improved braking. They may not last as long as some of the other compounds mentioned but I don't do a high mileage so long life is not a requirement. I intend to fit the same pads and discs on my +2 when it finally hits the road. Not sure about removing the servo. I like the unservoed feel but does the increased weight of a +2 require high pedal pressures to achieve safe braking?
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:19 am

I like the unservoed feel but does the increased weight of a +2 require high pedal pressures to achieve safe braking?

With the servo multiplying the pressure by a factor of three 3 I would think so....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:09 pm

I've gone with EBC Greenstuff as recommended to me by TTR. One of the reasons, aside from the strong recommendation from TTR, is that I could not find a supplier of Ferodo DS2500 pads or even a part number

I'm going to change back to plain discs as well and see how it goes. EBC pads are relatively cheap so if I don't get along with them I can always change to something else. And I can't see them doing any less that the 9k miles I had out of the existing pads.

Will report back once fitted and bedded in. May add back the servo if they still lack bite.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:13 pm

I ran EBC green stuff pads on +2 brakes fitted to a 2 seater Elan earlier this year, & they were rubbish.

I must add that this was on a track day (Club Lotus at Castle Combe) Lots of fade & so much brake dust that the silver front wheels were all black very quickly.

Threw them away straight after & replaced with Mintex MGB633 M1144pads - much better.

Edit - & to add .... for road use they are fine.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 pm

As said, will report back :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, the Greenstuff pads are fitted.

The master cylinder went 'bad' after I fitted them and bled the brakes so I had to fit new seals :?

So far, I really like them - much more bite from cold and nice and progressive. Still bedding and have not had the chance to give them 'stick' but very pleased so far.

No appreciable increase in dust but it's perhaps to early to comment.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: