Shock insert removal tool ?

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi all , I have now got to renewing my rear suspension components and wondered if a tool exists for removing the insert caps ? As shown below.

I have read a suggestion to knock them out with a chisel but would prefer a tool if one exists.

Thanks Steve
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:31 pm

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi,
Couple of homemade tools from wayback, the one on right may spark an idea, on the left, has a large hex nut that fits something on an Elan, but can?t recall what it undoes?
Ron.
p1030118.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Briggs1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:07 pm

John has the idea but skip the first one on the list.

I have one of those, for many years, it is not worth a darn, pins are too short.

Get something with longer pins because it always wants to pop out.

I'm thinking of getting a large nut and drilling holes and driving hardened dowel pins in for this job. That way I can remove with a large wrench.

Briggs
Briggs1
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mike Ostrov » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Our Climax Elites have similar original Armstrong wet shocks with only two round pin holes. When you find the correct pin spanner (I made one for my Elites ), then I drop over the extended shock rod some pipe with the same rod id and secure it with a flat washer and shock nut at the top. Now the pin spanner will stay compressed in the holes as you un screw it. Turn the top nut at the same time. Nothing, in my experience has a worse smell than old shock oil, Hope this is helpful.
Cheers. Mike , in Richmond, CA.
[email protected] or (5l0) 232-7764
Mike Ostrov
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: