Rear inserts top nut issue in lotocone

PostPost by: therolfie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi all just about to fit some rear Gaz adjustable inserts. Issue I have, the adjustment is made at the top of the unit & so a split pin isn't used. A nyloc is supplied, but the issue here is that the insert piston needs to be centred in the lotocone. The only solution I can think of is to machine a new shoulder onto the nyloc to locate it in the centre of the top of the lotocone. What have others done in this situation, or am I missing a trick here? Cheers :D
White +2s, S4 in bits & the practical Honda!
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:46 pm

:lol: I have found an old post regarding installing a top hat to locate the piston into the lotocone under the nyloc, I will have a go at turning a couple up! If anyone know where I could purchase them in the mean time please shout. Thanks
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:02 am

In the past I've just put a shoulder on the nut. If you have a lathe it's the easiest thing to do.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:33 am

Hi

When I fitted Spax adjustable dampers the nut supplied had a shoulder
Surely Gaz should provide proper fitting kit, it does not give confidence in there product
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks for feedback both, next issue will be the nyloc is too long so the nylon will not act on the thread! I could use thread lock?
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 am

Crude but may work, put the nut on upside down. Should centre and will also lock. :twisted:

Original nut.
p1030070.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:01 pm

The Konis I got from TTR came with the top hat so potneitally you could get them from there.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:49 pm

I fitted Gaz inserts and found a couple of brass fittings that fitted into the top of the lotocones. I think they were electrical exterior fittings where you would attach an armoured cable with a rubber gland, but turning something down would be best.
The nylon nuts are tight on top but the insert' s thread should just go beyond the nylon. I had to make sure the insert was pulled right up and did this by putting some rag around the insert, gripping with mole grips and levering fully up between the coil spring. Pita to get it through the d hole in the top cup though :evil:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:17 pm

I should have said I'm using a Demon Tweeks 2.25 Spring kit on the rear to give adjustable platforms. This means that the top cap for the springs is thicker, it is a machined aluminium set up, hence the piston shaft sitting lower in the lotocone. I have just turned down the two original nuts & will have to thread lock them, but as I have a Spyder chassis I can make up the whole unit on the bench then offer it up as one. :)
Last edited by therolfie on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:42 pm

i share rohans opinion. but i'm also sure GAZ supplied th required bits as they are sold for elans. my complete koni set, especially developed WITH TTR included everything needed, even the front spanners (to adjust ride height) and the rear Koni Knob! is TTR more expensive than spax or gaz?? - the complete package is great and worth every cent - THANKS TONY!! sandy johnson
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:26 pm

The problem I had with nylocs on Spax inserts was that they needed so much torque to overcome the nylon the damper insert just turned. In the end I had to remove the nylon in order to tighten them and I have yet to implement a more secure solution (maybe threadlock as another poster suggested).
Steve.
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:43 pm

I got some long sleeved nuts for my car from Pat Thomas at Kelvedon Motors. He had stocks of various nuts to suit different make shock absorbers.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:41 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, in the end I have turned the nuts down on the lathe & used lock tight. So far all good :D
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: