Location of Adjustable Rear Spring Perches Baby Elan

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:21 pm

I seem to remember there is a particular location the adjustable spring perches need to be welded onto the rear shock towers after cutting away the lower factory spring perch on the Elan S3. I just can't remember what the location is. Can anyone shed some light on this? I think it was a certain distance from the top of the tower.

Thanks,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:52 am

Hi,

I don't know if it's exactly the correct location but on mine I welded the collar just below the residual brazed area left after removing the old perch. I've added a photo of before & after welding.

The logic was as follows;

1. The old perch was brazed in place and to remove all the braze I risked making the wall thinner, but welding about an inch lower meant I was on full wall thickness. This placed the top of the two spring perch collars at roughly the ride height of the original spring platform at the bottom of their travel on the collar.
2. There's enough adjustment on the collar to give OEM ride height with the shorter, higher rated spring and should I decide I want to go back to 67.5lb springs at the original length, I can do so with the collar at the bottom of the range.

The collar was a loose fit on mine and I decided to weld rather than attempt to braze. I'm sure brazing would have worked but it seemed too large a gap to fill with braze.

Brian
Attachments
before-and-after-welding.jpg and
before & after
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:48 pm

As a follow-up, I spoke to Tony Thompson and was told the top of the adjustable spring platform should be positioned exactly one inch (1.00 ") below the top of the shock tube and then brazed/welded at the bottom of the platform only. I assume welding/brazing at the top of the platform might warp the top of the tube making the threaded collar difficult or impossible to install.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: