Dust covers for shock absorber protection?

PostPost by: mariodschy » Mon May 30, 2016 12:33 pm

I am on the way to change the front and rear springs. I have no dust covers fitted but this would be the chance to upgrade the shock absorber with it if they nowadays are used/recommended.
Does it make nowadays sense/is it recommended to fit dust covers under 2,25" and 1,9" springs (spax shocks)?
Originaly the dust covers were fitted in the rear and also in front.
If they are recommended, did someone know a source for it.

Mario
- 1972 Lotus Elan Sprint LHD/DHC
- 1962 Austin Healey Sprite MK II - Sold 09.05.2016

Sorry for my bad survival English ;-)
mariodschy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Originally on my 1968 S4 had external metal covers were over the front springs and shock rods to offer some protection. The rear shock rods were protected by a rubber cover internal to the springs tied to the Aeon rubber springat the top and sliding over the suspension strut at the bottom

The front metal covers fouled and rubbed on both the strut towers and springs causing squeeking problems and I have not bothered replacing them when changing front springs and shocks. The rear rubber sleeves did not appear to achieve much and with reduced clearances when moving to small diameter springs I have not replaced them on my Elan and they were not present on my very original 73 Plus 2.

Finding and fitting suitable modern bellows style covers on both the front and rear shock rods would help with life and slow shock seal and rod wear wear but given the limited mileage and use in good weather of most Elans these days are probably unnecessary.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon May 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Spyder fitted some covers on my front shocks for me last year when they fitted the front springs as I didn't have a suitable spring compressor and I didn't fancy trying the 'cable tie method"! They said it would help reduce 'squeaking'...

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bienfu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:58 am

Anyone have a idea to fit dust covers under 2,25" and 1,9" springs ?
There is not many space between the shock and springs in theses configurations :?
Bienfu
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Well, in my experience if you have a cover fitted the spring will rub against it and squeak, and if you don't have a cover fitted the spring will rub against the damper and squeak.

I stopped the squeaking by cutting a spiral off an old electrical cable sheath and then fitting it over a couple of turns of the spring. It fixed the problem immediately and proved to be a significant improvement. I did this some years ago and, surprisingly, the plastic has not worn away. :-)

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: