New member - nut size question and brake master cylinder

PostPost by: autopia » Sat May 21, 2016 6:14 am

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum but I've been reading lots of posts as a guest, following my purchase of a Metallic Blue 1967 Plus 2 with a Zetec conversion which needs recommissioning.

I was hoping to get it up and running before posting but want to check the size of the seat rail bolts, I think they're supposed to be 1/4" UNF (I'd seen them referred in another post) but when I try them, they're a really tight fit in the captive nuts that have been glassed in.

Would rather ask the Oracle than strip, or worse, loosen the captive nuts, can anyone confirm?

Also, I've seen a post about removing the pedal box if needing to overhaul or replace the brake master cylinder, is that the best recommendation or should it be easy enough to disconnect the linkage and pull it the cylinder out from the back of the box, I don't have any carpets in there at the moment so a few drips are easily cleaned up?

Cheers for any assistance you can provide, will get some pix up when I've got the car on the road.

Darren
autopia
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sat May 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi Darren, welcome to the forum.
The tapped holes in the aluminium bobbins for the seat rails are 1/4" UNC in my 1968 +2.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat May 21, 2016 4:54 pm

Darren
It helps if you fit an access plate on the top of the pedal box and is easier if you are double jointed,but yes you can remove the master cylinder from within the engine bay.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sat May 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Welcome Darren
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi Darren and welcome.

Obviously this isn't going to cover any non original parts but the Parts manual has all the part numbers for each nut and bolt and in the front there is a'translation' of what all the numbers and letters mean. Head type, Bolt length, thread/nut size etc etc
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat May 21, 2016 11:48 pm

... and there's a parts manual to view on line here, http://rdent.com/manuals/index.html . Ray, at R. D. Enterprises Ltd, is a stateside supplier of all (most) things Lotus and an all round good guy to work with.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Bud English wrote:... and there's a parts manual to view on line here, http://rdent.com/manuals/index.html . Ray, at R. D. Enterprises Ltd, is a stateside supplier of all (most) things Lotus and an all round good guy to work with.

People keep referenceing the R Dent copies, but did you not know that the parts lists are HERE too on this website, in the unfinished Wiki section.

Here is the Plus 2 parts list.
http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/Category: ... Parts_List
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun May 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks for that Bill. I hadn't really tried the Wiki in awhile. It's coming along nicely. :oops:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: autopia » Sun May 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for the welcomes and your advice/answers, 1/4" UNC makes sense, the UNF are not going to go in so no point in forcing, will pick some UNC's tomorrow.

Also, I cut a panel out above the BMC, need to fabricate a cover, but it was so much easier than trying to get it from below, I didn't want to remove the pedal box as it's all mastic'ed in.

Will get around to posting some pix when I get chance.

Cheers,

Darren
autopia
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: autopia » Sun May 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I forgot to add this but it's interesting to note that the BMC is not original, it's a Wilwood 700, any comments/experience on the Wilwood over the (I presume the originals are:) Girling?

Cheers again
autopia
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: