Alternative steering couplings

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:44 am

I'm having a problem with my steering coupling (actually a new u/j type) interfering with the bottom hose of the radiator. (Not unusual I believe?) Very little scope for lifting the radiator before the radiator cap interferes with the bonnet.

Just wondering whether any suppliers u/j is slightly smaller than the others?

Or any other solution?

Would really help me.

Many thanks

Andy
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:42 am

I had that problem with my old bottom hose on my +2. The new shorter one does not interfere.

You could try making it shorter if the hose is the same diameter all the way though (not belled out at each end), or you could try twisting it slightly to get the clearance.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Andy

I've got a nos original type joint if you can't solve the problem. You could try the trick of twisting the hose a bit to give a bit more clearance or try the custom bottom one I had made as a spare- it is basically a stainless steel affair that replicates the shape of the original and which fits to the block/rad by means of short rubber hoses so is almost a "universal".

If interested get back to me and I'll dig it out and post a picture.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:44 am

I put a shield over my bottom hose.

It was a short length of thickwalled yellow plastic pipe; a piece of scrap from the gas pipe replacement activity that the gas company was doing beneath our roads here.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Alternatively you could put a shield over the coupling,I shopped around to find the thinnest steering u/j,they can differ in size,then ground off any excess material..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks to all you guys.

The metal circlip on my hose actually does provide some protection. I just don't like the idea of continuous interference every time I turn the wheel.

I also think I could certainly centralise my steering rack, which would move the coupling perhaps half an inch further outboard of the hose centreline. (See my thread "More lock on one side"!)

John

You say you shopped around. Do you happen to remember which provider produces the smallest u/j? That's exactly the kind of information I'm hoping for.

The Kelvedon one looks like it might be promising?

Many thanks

Andy
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Andy
Sorry but it was years ago,here is a piccy of it last time I removed the engine,hope you can see the removed metal (oxymoron?) and corrugated sleeve on the shaft to prevent rubbing.

uj2.jpg and

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Just found the Kelvedon one and it looks familiar albeit without " relieved " corners/edges..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: