Refinishing Panasport Wheels

PostPost by: fattogatto » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Unfortunately one of the previous owners of my S3 decided to use safety wire to insure the K/Os stayed put by wrapping the safety wire around a spoke which led to scraping the finish off. Also, he was somewhat of an oaf when it came to removing his wheels resulting is every spoke being dinged, some rather severely.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a refinished (in the US) or a process by which these wheels can be made decent again?

Thanks,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:20 pm

A good friend, who is a Panasport dealer, has wheels powder coated when something other than silver or dark grey is required. Used mostly on wheels for race cars, they seem to hold up well, even though seeing lots of installation and removal. They are bolt ons, rather than the knock on variety.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Charlie,

In the UK most people use polyester powder coating. I don't know about Panasport, but has been good on other vehicle wheels that I have used.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:08 pm

there can be issues with the heat involved in powder coating

you can have them media blasted and repainted. There is a guy local to me who does portable wet blasting. Just sandblasting with water to keep the dust down.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:52 am

Where are you located in the US?
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:14 am

fattogatto wrote:Unfortunately one of the previous owners of my S3 decided to use safety wire to insure the K/Os stayed put by wrapping the safety wire around a spoke which led to scraping the finish off. Also, he was somewhat of an oaf when it came to removing his wheels resulting is every spoke being dinged, some rather severely.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a refinished (in the US) or a process by which these wheels can be made decent again?

Thanks,

Hello Charles,

Contact Panasport to ask specifically what they use for finish. I am fairly certain the finish is an epoxy or urethane paint with a high quality, tough clear coat. They may be able to furnish paint codes, likely Japanese paint suppliers.

Google "alloy wheel refinishing" for your area. This is big business for collision repair shops.

Good luck.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. My issue is more the dings left by errant hammer blows. Probably have to sand the spokes carefully then paint with epoxy. Not sure the alloy composition will take to powder coating.

Sarto, I am in TN.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: