master cylinder missing bits?

PostPost by: davidc » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Searched here and refered to workshop manual but still a bit stumped.

Master cylinder on my 73 plus 130/5

20151107_162343_resized.jpg and

From what I can see from manual I appear to be missing the sovy bit but the cap (which has a 5mm dia hole in top that I've covered with masking tape temporary) doesn't look like it would be compatible. I was just going to replace cap with metal type but see they refer to "older type"

Also there are a few stray wires hanging around the area. Wondering if there was a fluid level warning light?

Can anyone tell me what I am missing please?

If it's relevant I have the girling servo.

Thanks.
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 pm

You are missing the fluid level warning switch. Difficult to find. You can use a modern float switch and modify your cap to suit.
20151108_131956.jpg and
Master cylinder.

20151108_132059.jpg and
Fluid level float switch.

Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Many thanks

I best start looking!

David
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:02 pm

OK so you weren't kidding when you said difficult to find! :oops:

few threads on here about modern replacements, does anyone know if this will fit?

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/b ... -fly-leads

or just the cap off this?

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/s ... eservoir-2

second one states "Cap maximum diameter 71mm" and the float looks slimmer so wouldn't displace as much fluid once in place so is my preferred choice.

anyone found a direct fit option elsewhere?
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:34 pm

That cap looks the same as the 2 seater elan with a seperate SOVY can & fluid level sensor - see this thread for details - http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-suspension-f42/1969-elan-tandem-master-brake-cylinder-question-t35509-15.html

Did Plus 2's also have the SOVY can?

Later Federal baby elans had reservoirs with a divider in the middle & the sensor would not go into the reservoir, hence the additional paint can. The can tends to rust & is extremely difficult to source.

If you're going to throw the plastic cap away I'll take it (please & I'll pay postage) as the founder of the Elan SOVY renovation club... :roll:
Last edited by pharriso on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:48 pm

davidc wrote:OK so you weren't kidding when you said difficult to find! :oops: .............

anyone found a direct fit option elsewhere?

If you are just after a SOVY fluid level switch you can buy http://www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchResults.aspx?partno=C23631 from SNG Barrett (who bought SOVY). You can then shorten the aluminium tube around the cork float. The lid is white rather than red, but it is the closest you can currently get.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:04 am

There's a complete pedal box on ebay at present which includes the switch you are looking for....
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:41 am

thanks Dougal, I had seen that but it is a lot to pay for just the float as my pedal box and cylinders are in much better condition. can't even be sure if the SOVY is in working condition or not!
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:37 pm

You could sell on the pedal box ex switch!
If you really want one this is a rare opportunity. It doesn't matter if it works or not, they are a simple item to strip down and repair. Been there, done that.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Might do but if I miss out the black one as linked above is looking like a good test mule for replacement.
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:04 pm

davidc wrote:Might do but if I miss out the black one as linked above is looking like a good test mule for replacement.

Sorry, but I'm missing why you don't do as I suggested before:

"If you are just after a SOVY fluid level switch you can buy http://www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchRes ... tno=C23631 from SNG Barrett (who bought SOVY). You can then shorten the aluminium tube around the cork float. The lid is white rather than red, but it is the closest you can currently get."
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Sorry I had not fully understood your suggestion. Now I have re read it I see it is with lid so just needs tube shortening. I was getting mixed up with another thread where there is talk of cutting existing lids up to suit etc...

I am ideally after one where to screw lid is a direct fit for the girling cyl now having looked closer at your suggestion I see it includes lid.

What is the difference between the 2 parts shown? Apart from cost!

sorted oddly cheaper one is O.E so have purchased one of those.

davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:03 pm

It will be interesting to hear how you modify the Jaguar switch with 1.75" cap to fit the Lotus 2.4" cylinder. I would have thought that you would need to already have the plastic cap that sits on top of the cylinder on which the switch is mounted for parts from the Jaguar switch assembly to be of any use. Even if the Jaguar switch was mounted on the correct diameter aluminium cap, and the float chamber plus operating rod shortened, the fluid level would have to be much lower than the Lotus version mounted on the raised plastic cap which is presumably why it was done that way.
Having said that Pharriso has probably done the conversion and I'm talking nonsense!
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:20 pm

dougal9887 wrote:It will be interesting to hear how you modify the Jaguar switch with 1.75" cap to fit the Lotus 2.4" cylinder. ....
Having said that Pharriso has probably done the conversion and I'm talking nonsense!
Dougal.

Hadn't realised that the Plus2 SOVY was different from the Elan SOVY; but just pulled out pictures & it's obvious:
Europa_SOVY_Unit.jpg and
Note how the cap is the same size as the red piece on the Elan/Europa

Plus2_EuroSOVY.JPG and
Plus 2: Note the small nylon reservoir where you can see the brake fluid level

My Bad :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Sovy part has arrived.

20151118_144623_resized.jpg and

So basic is design!

Pick of cork drops if fluid low making metal plate connect to wires. Simplicity itself!!

20151118_144922_resized.jpg and

When it was pointed out above the cap wasn't a direct fit I thought I might send part back and try again but the meddler g9ot the better of me.

20151118_144733_resized.jpg and

Stripped part down and think I can cut hole in existing plastic cap using new metal cap as template, pop part back together using new rubber washer to form seal between float holder and cap and then just shorted cork shaft and protective tube.

20151118_144944_resized.jpg and

Simples. I'll post an update when I'm done.

Incidentally as current plastic cap has 64mm stamped on top and a hole I wonder if it's from one of those easy bleed kits that use compressed air to bleed system through as they come with a variety caps to suit most cars. Maybe last job previous owner did was bleed the brakes!!
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: