CHOICE OF WISHBONES & BUSHES

PostPost by: tonycharente » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:53 am

Hello all,
Please forgive me if this precise topic has already been covered six times - I did try searching but without success.

Faced with replacing the wishbones on a Spyder chassis S4 Elan, what are people's views on the various choices currently available from the usual suppliers - for "fast road" not "competition"

Same question for the choice on the suspension bushes.

Many thanks to all,
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I has my Spyder wishbones shot blasted and powder coated. I then re bushed using a set from Autobush
http://autobush.com Good value and fitted fine. I'm just fitting the rear ones while overhauling the diff seals and bearings.

TonyR
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 pm

I have used poly bushes all round when rebuilding my Sprint. Now I have done around 300 miles in it, I have to report that the suspension, especially the rear, is very hard and non-compliant. Spring rates are standard. Dampers are adjustable and are on the softest setting.

Since I had used a lot of Spyder components I spoke to Sean about it. He recommends ditching the poly bushes on the rear and going back to original Metalastic bushes, and looking on this forum I have found several threads that confirm his view. Sean said that none of the Spyder guys would use poly bushes on the rear suspension as they are too hard and have too much "stiction". Brian Buckland also comments in his manual that poly bushes give a hard ride. Looks like I'll be changing back.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:32 am

Mike
If you do go that way there will be a good home for them here,over winter I'm going to shot-blast and powder coat my A frames and would like to try poly bushes...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:05 am

John, With a bit of luck I might manage to swap the bushes over in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Once I've seen how it is with the Metalastic bushes I will PM you to let you know if the poly bushes are available. Watch this space!
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:12 am

In my experience the issue with PolyBushes is not that they are too hard but that the steel ferrule that goes inside the plastic bush is thin walled. So if you tighten up the suspension nuts and bolts to a 'normal' amount the ferrule distorts and the bushes seize, effectively locking the suspension.

Since you can't mandate against someone helpfully tightening up the suspension nuts, I prefer to stay away from the PolyBushes; I use the original bushes on my road car and make my own bushes out of Nylatron for racing (the ride is not harsh even with Nylatron bushes - it's mainly the dampers and also the springs that cause that).

As for the wishbones, I use the standard ones on my road going Sprint. Ones with a bit of toe in would probably improve the handling slightly but it is not necessary in my opinion and I don't know what effect that would have on tyre wear. One reason for using adjustable ones is that it would allow you to get best suspension alignment and take out any chassis inaccuracies.

I have found that the most important thing at the rear is to ensure that there is no play in the wheel bearings or the connection between the upright and the wishbones - if there is you can get a lot of rear wheel steering.

Hope that helps

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Many people who install 'polybushes' forget, or don't realise, that they need regular lubrication as you are relying on movement between the steel sleeve and the bush for suspension movement.

Lack of lubrication results is both squeaking and premature wear. There are no moving parts (apart from the rubber stretching) on OEM bushes so no lubrication is required.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: