To Split (calipers) or not to Split, that is the Question

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but 2 years ago I rebuilt my rear callipers but had to split one to get the piston out. A brake company in the US said if I sent them the old seal they would be able to match it. Unfortunately having rebuilt the car I was trying to bleed the brakes today but they are leaking from the caliper faces wheee they join. Can anyone recommend a reliable source for the square section “O” rings?

Thanks

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:57 am

RD Enterprises supplied me with the square profile seal. I just finished rebuilding all four corners, split them and was glad I did for the ability to clean them thoroughly. Not a bad project, good luck!
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 am

This YouTube channel is very helpful. Serge is rebuilding a very early Europa. https://youtu.be/UUJuW6Ho2LY
I seem to recall that there were two problems with splitting the calipers. Firstly is the neoprene seal. I remember Canley Classics in the UK used to sell them but I can’t find them now. Secondly was that there wasn’t any published torque figures for the bolts. Not massive problems though. Good luck!
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:54 am

Pegasus in the US list the cross feed seal and also give the dimensions which may help..

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=1144
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get may be1/4 of a turn on two of the bolts so I am hoping that has fixed the leak. Won’t know for sure until I refit the caliper and pressure test it.

Will let you know if it is successful.

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:12 pm

I used the gaskets from RD. They worked perfectly. No leaks. Much easier to get everything clean too.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 am

ivan.wood wrote:Thanks for the replies. I managed to get may be1/4 of a turn on two of the bolts so I am hoping that has fixed the leak. Won’t know for sure until I refit the caliper and pressure test it.

Will let you know if it is successful.

Ivan

With an "O" ring it's not how tight the Screws are that make it seal. The pressure in the system make it seal. It needs to compress a very small amount to seal when it's static. It must be flexible and not hard and sealing surfaces very clean.
Good luck
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 pm

I guess I screwed up as when I took the caliper apart yesterday I found part of the seal was trapped between the two faces!!!!!

I have ordered 2 new seals from Paul Matty in the UK so lets hope they arrives in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: