Rear end noise

PostPost by: Lordflashart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 am

Drove my +2 for the first time today!!

Thing is there is a slight rhythmic thumping that is coming from the rear wheel that increases in frequency, the faster that I go.

Now it's still running ancient tyres so it could be that. The new ones are on order.
Is there anything else I should check while I'm down there?
The doughnuts are relatively new and appear to be intact.

Paul
Lordflashart
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:34 am

"While I'm down there . . ."

Not sure where that it is, but if it were mine, I would drive over to my local friendly tire guy (with my knock-off wrench) and ask them to check the balance of the two rear wheel/tires. Even if you're getting new tires, would be nice to know what that "rhythmic thumping" is. :wink:

In any case, definitely sounds like a tire/wheel. Once you check, if you end up ruling out the two rear tire/wheels, then you can look with conviction at the other rotating parts of the rear axle: half shafts, mostly. See if they're not true or if they might be out of balance, assembled incorrectly, etc.

Happy you got the thing on the road! Excellent. And still some great driving weather remaining before winter!! Come by my place and show me!! And you can see my poor car on the rotisserie (like roasting a pig!)

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:45 am

Hi, if you think the problem may be the tyres you could try swapping the front and rears around to see what difference it makes? Good luck. Lyn...
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am

Hi

The tyres on my Elan were over twenty five years old when I bought it. I changed the tyres and it changed the car. If your tyres are ancient change the four of them.

George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lordflashart » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Cheers gents,

The tyres are old and the new ones are on order and should be here in a couple of weeks. In the mean time I'm just driving the car around our farm so not on public roads yet.

I'm going to switch the tyres around and see if the noise continues. I jacked the car up and spun the rear wheels and I can't feel or see anything that is making the noise.

I'll post back when I fine the fault.

I have to say, even just driving the car around the farm, it feels a very different beast from my TR4. Feels like a much more modern car despite being only a few years younger. Can't wait to see what it can do on an open road!

Paul
Lordflashart
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Lordflashart » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks for the input chaps,

I jacked the far up and spun the wheels and I can't see anything that could be causing the noise.

I think it's probably tyres so will await the new ones (new week hopefully!!) and see if it's better then .

Thanks

Paul
Lordflashart
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: