Plus 2 rear dampers - extra spacer?

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Afternoon All - I've got a question......
I've just stripped down my Plus 2's rear suspension units, and on top of the castellated damper insert retaining nut on the top of the damper tube was an alloy spacer. This was about 3/4 - 1 inch in height and was a push fit onto the top of the damper tube, covering the damper retaining nut. Is this a standard fitting or some sort of aftermarket fitment to reduce the damper travel? I can't find any reference to them in the manual, parts list or Brian Buckland's book.......
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:11 pm

50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Jason

My +2 is fitted with this alloy spacer Ive not considered why but I am sure it is correct on my car
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:58 pm

They were fitted as standard on the later Plus 2 I dont know when they were introduced but my 73 model has them.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 am

Are these the ones on the top of the damper body just above the big nut holding the damper to the upright or above the rubber top mounting and held by the castellated nut? If it's the 2nd option then it's after-market; if you have cv driveshafts then it probably was a droop reduction spacer.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks Guys - I'll refit them then.
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 pm

My '69 Federal had the spacers installed stock. When I rebuilt the car with the Spyder supplied rear struts had a different diameter piston rod, so the stock spacers would not fit correctly. As I couldn't find the spacers in the parts book I left them out.

For street use the suspension seems fine, and the car sits level when the boot is loaded for touring. On the track in tighter corners the rear suspension seems to roll excessively before settling on the bump stop.

I have CV shafts installed and even without the spacers I have no issues with excessive travel locking up the CV.

Thanks for the picture and length Rohan, as I am now reminded I will have to get a couple of spacers made up and installed. :)

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: