Plus 2 Steering Rack Spacers

PostPost by: Gazzerb » Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 am

I am seeking some definitive guidance on the steering rack lock limiting spacers please.
As part of the restoration of my late Plus 2 I am checking over the steering rack.
Measuring the spacers, these are actually 0.530" long on the RHS & 2.000" long LHS. However, my +2 Lotus manual shows these on the rack diagram (H9) as being 0.281" & 1.750" long respectively.
(Referring to the Brian Buckland manual, he clearly identifies the two sizes of spacers used by Lotus with the longer spacers for the S4 & Sprint and the shorter ones for the S1 - S3 Elan).
Whilst I can easily machine my apparently incorrect spacers down to the correct length, I seek some assurance that at some time my +2 may have been fitted with an S4/Sprint rack. Any thoughts please?

As an aside, the nylon peg fitted to the LHS of the rack tube appears to be held in with some form of tape under the black paint. Is this correct?

Gary
Gary

1972 Elan +2 S130/5
2001 Elise S2
Gazzerb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:26 am

Gary,
IMHO using the words "Lotus" and "definitive guidance" in the same sentence is rather unwise. :D

However my 1968 +2 has spacers of .1in and 1.680in. Whilst I cannot guarantee that the rack is the original one I have had the car since 1977 so the is a good chance it is.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gazzerb » Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 pm

John

Yes, I should have known better than to recklessly use these phrases and after all, it is my suspicion about the 'right' parts being fitted that have led me to this learned forum!

Please, if there are any more opinions as to the correct size of rack spacers for the Plus 2, the larger or smaller, they are welcome and I will count the votes and seek a final decision before starting the lathe.

Thanks
Gary
Gary

1972 Elan +2 S130/5
2001 Elise S2
Gazzerb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Sat May 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Not exactly the answer to your question, but I have been throught a similar exercise on my Sprint. The point I would make is that the purpose of the spacers is to stop the tyres rubbing on the anti roll bar (which will be an MOT failure). So you can check if there is a clearance with your wheels and tyres with the existing spacers. If there is, then you haven't got a problem. If the clearance is too large, you could reduce the spacer size to reduce your turning circle.
Regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Sat May 16, 2015 1:07 pm

The plastic peg is normally taped on, so it doesnt fall out when the rack is removed. In service it is pressed onto the rack inner by the rubber mounting that holds the rack. It's purpose is to stop rattling, I think. You can still get new ones, from Moss I believe, or maybe it's Canley Classics.
Regards
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: