Seeking advice for a siezed parking brake.

PostPost by: SantaBarbaraS4 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 pm

I've recently inherited my late fathers '69 S4 SE Elan and am embarking on a full rebuild After having it towed to my garage, I put the front wheels up on jack stands with the rears chocked on the ground and parking brake set :? . It's 3 weeks later now. I've now got the entire car up on blocks and now the parking brake wont budge. Ive tried some break free and some hammer blows but to no avail. I wanted to consult the forum for help before I accidentally damage something. Any help??
Evan
1969 S4 SE FHC
36/9369
Santa Barbara, CA
SantaBarbaraS4
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm

I'd first establish if it is the cable holding the brake on or the pads stuck/rusted to the disks.

In either case I'd remove the brake rods from the calipers, you may want to wedge the arm on the caliper to remove any tension. If its the cable disconnecting the rods should release the brakes. If its the pads stuck I'd remove the adjuster nut from the bottom and lever the arms away from the disk if the brakes are still stuck.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SantaBarbaraS4 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks mbell,
I was able to release them after disconnecting the rods. All pieces back together now and functioning as they should. Thanks for the great advice!!

Evan in SB
Evan
1969 S4 SE FHC
36/9369
Santa Barbara, CA
SantaBarbaraS4
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:14 am

Glad you got it sorted. Good luck with the rest.

Mark
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: