14" steering wheel on a +2

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Salut

Apart from being incorrect, does the steering sensation change much ? Is it a lot heavier or just a bit or hardly noticeable ?

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:43 am

I have never had anything else than a 14 inch fitted to my +2, I wouldn't describe the steering as light but it does feel more precise than normal +2's I have driven. The standard Triumph steering rack is pretty low geared. My car came with a Motolita wheel which I recommend to anyone looking for an alternative to standard.

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/our-products/Wheel_Details_02.aspx?WH_ID=5
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:00 am

A little bit of pie says that a 14" wheel has a circumference of 44" , whereas a 15" wheel is 47" so one is looking at approx 6% difference..

Surely the larger the steering wheel the lighter/more precise?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:04 am

john.p.clegg wrote:A little bit of pie says that a 14" wheel has a circumference of 44" , whereas a 15" wheel is 47" so one is looking at approx 6% difference..

Surely the larger the steering wheel the lighter/more precise?

John :wink:

Please don't call me Shirley unless I am out with you and the rest of the girls please Sandra ! ......

me using precise is perhaps the wrong word, please assume I wrote sharper. The steering will be a bit higher geared with a smaller wheel therefore more reaction for less rotational input.

The rim on a Motolita is considerably thicker than the standard wheel making grip easier, I just prefer them and would never go back to the originals. The original wheels look pretty hung on the wall though 8)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:09 pm

My +2 came with a 12 inch Mountney steering wheel, and I used it for a couple of years - the car felt very agile but the steering was on the heavy side when parking.

I switched to a 15 inch Mountney wheel and prefer it to the 12 inch. I had taken to kissing my biceps after a successful park and thought that was inappropriate. I would have thought a 14 inch wheel would be OK.

I'm looking for a Chapman +2 wheel lying in a hedge somewhere - haven't found one yet...

Dave Chapman..
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Merci, les gars. That's useful.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:29 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Apart from being incorrect, does the steering sensation change much ? Is it a lot heavier or just a bit or hardly noticeable ?

When I first had my +2 I tried smaller diameter steering wheels in the 13" and 14" diameter range. The feel does not change dramatically however having less motion in your forearms can be attractive if you are doing events like track days. There are other things to consider with a smaller diameter wheel such as moving your hand further from other controls such as the gear level. Some of the instrument dials will also become partially obscured. Ultimately I went to a Nardi wheel, close to the original diameter, mainly because these wheels look so damn nice and it makes driving very relaxing.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: