Spyder rear uprights and springs

PostPost by: shaun » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 am

Hi can anybody give me a ride height dimension with the body off,fitted spax inserts and 2.25 springs from spyder but not happy with ride height and angle of drive shafts,the springs are at there lowest withought adjusters rubbing on disc,I've took some basic measurements for comparison thanks shaun
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
shaun
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:03 am

There is no ride height setting with the body off as generally the suspension will go to the end of its droop travel due to the lack of weight.

What droop travel you have will depend on shockers, springs and drive shafts fitted so no simple answer to what that is.

Don't worry about setting ride height until the car build is completed

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:12 am

Shaun
I don't have the dimensions but I have a pair of the Spyder rear struts on my +2 and was surprised how the low the spring mounting had to be to get a ride height that I was happy with. When I first fitted them I had them set more or less as low as possible without the risk of fouling the brake disc but with 2 people on board it sometimes hit the bump stop and I therefore wound it a little higher to prevent this. To be fair I also had the damper set too soft at this point which wouldn't have helped.
On the subject of the bump stop, you don't appear to have any fitted to your struts?

Another thing that I found with these struts is that the springs are prone to rattle against the strut tube occasionally ,especially when you set off and the the only way I have found to stop this ,so far, is to put cable ties around the spring coils at intervals around the circumference.

Is that your brake line that appears to be cable tied to the front of the wishbone? If so I don't think it a safe solution either for how or where it's located.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Unfortunately the standard aeon springs (yes they are rubber springs not bump stops) do not fit inside 2.25 inch springs. That is why I use larger diameter small diameter springs they fit inside. Some people leave them out to the detriment of the handling, Some fit a Audi / VW strut rubber spring that is similar is spring rate to the original but fits inside a 2.25 inch spring.

Just remember the guys who designed the Lotus Elan and Plus2 suspension were the best in the world by a long long way back then in the 60's and 70's ( that's why you have the F1 world championship badges in the car) so you play with it carefully and only when you know what you are doing and why.

The later Plus 2 also had an alloy spacer on the top of the strut body to bring the Aeon spring into play earlier. Not really needed if you only drive 1 up but if loading up the car with people and luggage or driving hard in the corners a worthwhile change

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Try pre-loading the frame with weights or sand bags. This way you can get a general idea.
The only issue would to determine the amount of weight to be considered.
Or
How much does a half of a body weigh with all the bits in place and a half tank of petrol ?
I think this may put your mind to rest..........or not

Keep us in the loop if you would.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 pm

My plus 2 is 1968 and did have bump stops and Rohan is correct these won't fit inside the smaller springs. Spyder supply new bump stops that are specifically for the smaller diameter springs.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Rohan says "Just remember the guys who designed the Lotus Elan and Plus2 suspension were the best in the world by a long long way back then in the 60's and 70's ( that's why you have the F1 world championship badges in the car) so you play with it carefully and only when you know what you are doing and why." He just always gives great advice and he`s put into words what I often think when I read posts discussing "improvements".
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 am

What Rohan said.
What Jim said.
:mrgreen:

But I do also accept the old adage: your car, your colour. :mrgreen:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear