Lotus Elan

Steering Column Question

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:44 pm

I have just removed the steering column from my Elan and noticed that the metal channel clamped to the outer column is missing (the wiring to the indicator/headlamp stalk switches runs in it). As I have a column modified to take a steering lock, would this channel piece have been fitted when it left the factory as it looks as if it would be in the way of the lock? The lock itself is not fitted nor are there any witness marks on the column to suggest that one ever has been.

As the ignition switch is dash mounted, I assume that the steering lock, when fitted, did that roll only ie locked the steering. It is the Sprint that has the ignition switch/steering lock combined.

It would be good to see a photo of an S4 fitted with the lock to clarify the installation details.

Regards,
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
User avatar
fasterbyelan
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 14 Nov 2003
Location: Towcester, England

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Do a search & there is a post where I show all the components.

Don't think any S4s cam with steering column mounted ignition switches, early sprints had dash mounted ignition switches.

Even with a column mounted switch, that shroud should be there as it stops the colum outer from rotating.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:11 pm

that shroud should be there as it stops the colum outer from rotating.
Not necessarily! On my Sprint with column lock and integral ignition switch, there is a special bracket that clamps round the lock and is bolted to the column support casting - you can see it in my photo. This is very effective at preventing column rotation and I have no channel under the column for the wiring.

As I needed a new electrical ignition key switch, I bought a new column lock from a well known supplier, but it had a square barrel, which made it impossible to fit this bracket. So I removed the new switch from the new lock and grafted it onto the old barrel. All fine now.

Mike
Attachments
Column Brackets.jpg and
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:18 pm

pharriso wrote:Do a search & there is a post where I show all the components.

Don't think any S4s cam with steering column mounted ignition switches, early sprints had dash mounted ignition switches.

Even with a column mounted switch, that shroud should be there as it stops the colum outer from rotating.



Thanks, I'm now looking for a cable shroud! And......................the outer column lower mounting clamp is missing (and packing felt). The bracket is however there.

The wanted list gets longer every day......................... :wink:
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
User avatar
fasterbyelan
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 14 Nov 2003
Location: Towcester, England

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:57 pm

fasterbyelan wrote:Thanks, I'm now looking for a cable shroud! And......................the outer column lower mounting clamp is missing (and packing felt). The bracket is however there.

The wanted list gets longer every day......................... :wink:


Cable shroud is readily available, it's available in the UK from Rimmer Brothers http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005792- Part # 611369 it's a Triumph Spitfire part :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 pm

pharriso wrote:
fasterbyelan wrote:Thanks, I'm now looking for a cable shroud! And......................the outer column lower mounting clamp is missing (and packing felt). The bracket is however there.

The wanted list gets longer every day......................... :wink:


Cable shroud is readily available, it's available in the UK from Rimmer Brothers http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005792- Part # 611369 it's a Triumph Spitfire part :roll:


Thanks for the info, I can also get the felt packing strips for the lower clamp from the same place. I just need to find a lower clamp now...................
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
User avatar
fasterbyelan
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 14 Nov 2003
Location: Towcester, England

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Which bit are you calling the lower clamp?

Is it shown in this parts diagram?
RDent_PartsManual_SteeringColumn.JPG and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:11 pm

pharriso wrote:Which bit are you calling the lower clamp?

Is it shown in this parts diagram?
RDent_PartsManual_SteeringColumn.JPG


Item 22, the lower parts.

I have managed to source one from Rimmer's so will be picking up all the parts I need from them at the NEC Classic Car Show on Friday,

Thanks again.
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
User avatar
fasterbyelan
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 14 Nov 2003
Location: Towcester, England

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: gjz30075 and 9 guests