Replacement SOVY switch for Plus 2

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:34 am

I have been searching for a replacement unit for my Plus2S 130/5 for sometime now.

I have failed to find a source of new or second hand units the same or to find what car they were originally fitted too in addition to the Plus 2.

The nearest I have found is what was fitted to the XJS and Rover P6 in the Photo below of a second hand XJS unit compared to my burnt Plus2 unit

Sovy Plus 2 and XJS 1.JPG and

Sovy Plus2 and XJS 2.JPG and

The top of the switch unit is nearly identical except for not having the mould hard plastic top part shrouding the connectors as in the Lotus unit, It used a removable rubber top not shown in the photo. The float unit is slightly smaller in diameter and shorter so will easily fit in the Girling reservoir. The plastic body on the XJS unit is larger in diameter so will not screw on directly but could easily be cut down to be fitted using the separate metal compression ring that was used on the Lotus unit.

This style of compression ring was also used for connecting reservoir extensions and these are still available for the smaller 50mm diameter integral reservoirs but they do not appear to be available new for the larger 62mm diameter integral reservoir master cylinders. A new connecting ring could be made by cutting a hole in the top of a 62mm diameter reservoir metal cap which are still available new I believe.

Does anyone know any other options I could look at.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:15 am

I imagine you're familiar with the CBS cap solution, as explained on page 3 of this thread?

lotus-suspension-f42/tandem-master-cylinder-t19064-30.html

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:02 am

Hi Robert

Yes That has been an option on the list but I have been trying to find something more "original" The XJS one can certainly be modified to be very similar to the original with about the same amount of work as the CBS cap solution.

Wish I could just find what other cars the Lotus was one was fitted to so I could chase down that rabbit hole.

It appears that most of the Lotus ones had a red plastic top rivet in place. The larger diameter XJS ones had a red rubber cap in place of the rigid plastic top but the centre switch section was otherwise identical. The one on my Plus had a white rigid plastic top riveted in place. Potential the one on my car with the white plastic top came from some other car and not Lotus and was a replacement at some stage

cheers
Rohan

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Rohan,

I found replacement units on Car Builders Solutions ( http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/b ... ervoir-cap ) which have been working on both my Plus 2 and Sprint for the past couple years without problem. The only difficulty originally was carving out the metal reservoir cap to accept the unit then finding an adhesive that would hold up. Ended up using a high strength epoxy.
Hope this helps.

Rick
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:06 pm

I remember ordering these from Lotus when the Plus 2 was only just out of production (I used to help out at a dealer in the parts department). Both times we ordered Lotus sent something totally different. On another occasion they sent the same parts order twice.
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Rohan

Here's what I've managed to find (shown right). It's for a Jaguar E type, XJ6, or S type and is readily available, at least here in the UK. There's also a similar one available for the Aston Martin DB although this is moulded in black plastic.

This switch is not exactly identical to the Plus 2 item as the rod holding the cork and the alloy tube are too long and so need to be shortened and that's why I've had to take both to pieces. The biggest problem for you, as far is I can see, is obtaining the plastic extension neck (shown on the left of the picture). As mine's ok I can build the new switch into the old neck however as your neck is melted I not sure what you can do since, as far as I know, this is the one piece that no longer available.

Hope this helps a bit

Regards
Andy
Attachments
IMG_6058.JPG and
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi Andy

I had done the same investigation and come to the same conclusion. The XJS SOVY version is a better supplier of parts than the longer one used in the other jags that you have, as its float assembly fits without modification and its plastic neck extension can be trimmed to fit the Lotus clamp ring if like me you don't have usable plastic bits in your old switch.

The plastic neck extension used by Lotus must have been used in some other car. I cant imagine it was specifically made for Lotus. The question is what was that car?

Would it be possible for you do a dimensioned drawing of that neck extension piece as I think I can now make that part on the 3D printer my son built for his school project.

cheers
Rohan

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: