Rear dampers for a Plus 2 - Monroe MR246?

PostPost by: Johnfm » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Bought some used rear dampers on eBay. Seller says they are from a '68 Plus 2.

They are blue, marked 'MONROE' with two sets of numbers:

MR246 and B2D98

Will they fit?

1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:44 am

Don't know about Monroe shocks. The old shocks which I believe are Armstrongs ( red colour) that I have removed from the Elan are numbered

England Patented
IFB 51

My Plus 2 came with Konis and I have never changed them

If you measure diameter and length I can check versus the Armstrongs I have here to determine physical fit at least but this does not guarantee valving is correct / acceptable for a Plus 2

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 pm

i have just ordered GAZ GAI 1063 for my +2 with delivery date of 3 weeks made to order.
i hope they will be o.k.
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Alan, do they come with the insert tube retainers ( the very fine threaded ones) ?
When you say made to order, do you mean to your spec or standard? I am also looking at these for my +2
Best regards,
Kev
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Kev,
when i ordered the inserts they sent an e-mail to say they had loaded my order on production and the delay is about 3 weeks. They are standard Gaz inserts Gai 1063 for Lotus Elan +2 models. I didn't ask if the fine threaded securing nuts come with them but i imagine yes.
I have heard bad things about Protech Inserts so ithought i would try Gaz. Plus the price seems correct.
Alan
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Armstrong was amalgamated into Monroe shock absorbers so they are not longer in existence.
However my old man used to be a development engineer for Monroe in the late sixties -early seventies so I might be able to verify the number on the shocks for you. Monroe made shocks for mainstream cars and was very strong in the replacement market. However their shocks are not re-buildable. so at the end of their life you have to throw them out. Koni's however, can be rebuild and altered ( changing the compression and rebound rates) to any spec you like. the koni is also adjustable by pressing in the rod and turning the rod either clockwise or anti clock wise to alter the damping. This is however to compensate for wear over time and not intended to alter the specific damping characteristics of the shock.
I still have Monroe's fitted at the front of my plus two with no complaints.
cheers
robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 am

KevJ+2 wrote:Alan, do they come with the insert tube retainers ( the very fine threaded ones) ?
When you say made to order, do you mean to your spec or standard? I am also looking at these for my +2
Best regards,
Kev

hi Kev,
my shock inserts have just arrived from Gaz GAI 1063 and they have the insert tube retainers with the very fine thread. The retainers have a hexagon machined on top so you can use a normal spanner to screw into tube. They have a nyloc nut to secure piston rod in Lotocone.
I will assemble them in a few weeks and see if i need to use the original Castellated original nut with the machined shoulder to centralise in Lotocone. I hope the dia of the piston rod is a good fit in the Lotocone central hole. I will see but they look very good :mrgreen:
"Big Lo" will be very happy with new shocks after 41 Years :wink:
Alan
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Alan, how have you got on with the inserts? mine arrived yesterday and also look forward to fitting them.
What do you make of the collar that lies between the top nyloc nut and the bottom nut - the fine locking one.
Do you think it goes above the bump stop / under the lotocone? it seems to have a larger hole for movement but I'm not sure :?
They seem really heavy and well made so fingers crossed.
All the best,
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu May 01, 2014 3:14 pm

hi Kev,
for each shock insert, i have: 1. a fine threaded alloy nut to screw into the tube.
2. a nyloc nut for the top.
I don't have any collars in the kit.
When my shocks arrived the packet had been re-sealed by Chronopost International.
I Wonder if the collars got lost :cry:
Could you post a photo of a collar, so i can see what you mean.
many thanks Alan
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 pm

if there is any play between the insert and the schock tube you can put a big washer into the tube in order to eliminate the play. ( just drop it into the tube)
cheers robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu May 01, 2014 3:57 pm

thanks but,
i understand there should be a collar to centralise the piston rod in the Lotocone at the top.
These inserts do not use a special machined castellated nut at the top. They use a nyloc nut to let you pass the key to adjust damping rates.
There is no problem to secure the insert in the tube of the Chapman Strut
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:33 pm

I have attached the photos of the 'collar'. As you can see, they are quite thick and do not pass all the way down the rod so putting them under the threaded closing nuts is not possible. Equally, If you were to leave them on (under the lotocone), you wouldn't get the the Nyloc to cover the thread. By their shape, they seem quite specific, but I just can't see where they would go!
I have put the inserts in the tubes and the fine threaded nuts go down quite far, so Robin's washers remedy may also have to be used - all good fun :roll:

SAM_1328 (640x480).jpg and

SAM_1329 (640x480).jpg and
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Thu May 01, 2014 4:46 pm

hmm not quit sure either but maybe this is the washer I am talking about to eliminate the play of the insert in the tube??
if this collar fits in the tube try to fit the insert with the tapered side of the collar facing the top of the tube so it centers the insert if you understand what I mean. It seems a bit thick though so it might not work.
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan » Thu May 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Robin,
i think that your idea is correct and with the spacer at the bottom of the tube the chamfered hole will centralise the bottom of the insert. If it is too thick and it stops the securing nut being flush with the top of the tube maybe it could be machined in a lathe to be thinner.
A different question, what's the fit of the piston like in the "Lotocone"
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Robin & Alan, I did think about putting it under the insert but thought it was too thick and the wrong 'bowl' size for the insert bottom, maybe I'll try this and see.
Alan, I'm not too happy about the fit in the lotocone and would be happier with the old machined castle nut. A good idea might be to fit a turned down spacer beneath the nyloc, something else to look into :roll:
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: