Rear Spring Problem

PostPost by: William2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:59 pm

I am trying to fit 12" springs as shown in the attached photo. Am I correct in saying that I should not fit the upper aluminium spacer that fits between the spring and the Lotocone steel cup above. The cups I have don't seem to fit over the spring. Also, the brake disc seems to be fouling the cross strut of the wishbone. I don't understand!!
Attachments
Strut 002.JPG and
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:11 pm

The disk looks as though it's mounted the wrong side of the 3 legged flange. I think you will need to wind the lower spring mounting higher to avoid it fouling the disk before you change this.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:52 pm

EPA wrote:The disk looks as though it's mounted the wrong side of the 3 legged flange. I think you will need to wind the lower spring mounting higher to avoid it fouling the disk before you change this.

Ed

Ed is correct on all fronts. The disk bolts to the wheel side of the spider not the diff side.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:45 pm

As above, and the bolts should also fit through from the wheel side, nuts on the inside.
Making sure the brake calliper fits is the easiest way to tell if you have got it right.
Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:50 am

The spring should fit into the top cap with is sandwiched between the shoulder on the shock rod and the inner section of the lotocone

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:21 am

Gentlemen, thanks very much for your help and advice, it all makes sense now! All I need to do now is order a pair of correct size spring locators to fit under the Lotocones. Im assume that having a stainless steel attachment to the lower wishbone is an acceptable method for preventing the drive shafts bottoming out?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:28 am

Yes a cable from that clamp up to an attachment point on the tower bottom is how I ran for many years to limit droop until I recently fitted shorter travel Koni shockers from TTR so its now not needed.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: