Shortening rear suspension Insert Travel?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi all.

In a Nut shell, i have a pair of Koni rear Inserts that are not very old, i have been toying with the idea of fitting CV Drive shafts and have hit the age old Suspension droop problem. So i was thinking is there anyway to open the Strut and fit a spacer? or am i going to have to buy some more struts?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:16 pm

This may sound a bit soft but what is stopping me from cutting an Inch of the end of the rod and rethreading it?

well apart from not being able to adjust the damper........
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I think that modifying standard inserts as opposed to fitting of the shelf items may not be cost effective unless you have a very well equipped workshop, and I would be sure of exactly what you are trying to achieve before you start altering your setup, this has been my experience with shorter stroke inserts.
I had been running with CV drive shafts and standard suspension on my S4 for a couple of years with no problems, last year I fitted AVO inserts with a shorter stroke to reduce droop to be on the safe side after being advised that this was necessary.
They were a real pig to fit as you have to compress the springs further to allow for the shorter stroke, in the end I had to use a second set of spring clamps to compress the springs further once I had used the full working length of the first set.
Once fitted the car sits lower than it had previously at the rear whilst the front is still at standard height.
I am beginning to realise that you need an overall strategy as every non standard component that you fit can have a knock on effect. I haven?t decided which way I will go but I?m not happy with what I have now.

Mark
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Grizzly wrote:This may sound a bit soft but what is stopping me from cutting an Inch of the end of the rod and rethreading it?

I did exactly that but quite some time ago. I had a set of Performance Unlimited's drive shafts and they supplied some wire rope to use to limit droop.. nah. Hopeless.. So I stripped the Koni inerts and modified them as you discribed. Worked ok but the driveshafts still broke. Repaired them and they broke again .. And again. They became doorstops until a visitor asked to buy them and I gave him them in a present... The shocks went on and on and were still on the car when I sold it...

Alex B .... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 am

Grizzly wrote:This may sound a bit soft but what is stopping me from cutting an Inch of the end of the rod and rethreading it?

You would presumably need quite a good lathe to do that?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: