rear hubs / struts

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:18 pm

.........hope all of you had a chance to take your dog out for a walk .........no, no, no
i meant your elan out for his nature experience of course. i just finished my rear "axle"
(TTR as is the front) and it got new bearings, the stub axles were polished, the bearings
were "fitted" using loctite 601 ------------------- and they rotate quite differently. the bearings
appeared to be extremely tight when you tried to turn them in your hands. i?m hoping that
the tightest two coincidently met on on side. even the looser side is quite tight in my opinion.
all of the parts were in almost perfect condition: the main question is WOULD YOU FIT
THEM??? my nextdoor neighbor (a garage owner since 1980) doesn?t look at it as pessi-
mistically as i do. hope to get some input cheers sandy 36 4982
Attachments
strut.jpg and
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm confused. Are they already in the loctited in the hub? Are you wondering if you should fit the axle?

If its the bearings that concern you, buy another pair and check their resistance to what you already have.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Having pressed the shafts into new bearings, I believe that it is not unusual for the shafts to be less than free turning. They should free up with initial use.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 am

I rebuilt mine last year and they felt tight, until I mounted them. My recommendation is to mount the lotocones on them, then install in one piece using socket cap bolts. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:48 am

thanks folks and for you greg: the bearings were loctited to the housing where
i had quite a bit of "play" --- the bearings didn?t need any kind of adhesive - that
was also tight: the 10ton press had to work! - i guess i?m just too much like a Swiss!
have a nice day where-ever you are sandy -- 36/4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: