12SP front calipers

PostPost by: Bluefield » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Greetings,

The front calipers on my S1 (original 12SP) needs refurbishing and it got me thinking. Anybody changed from 12SP to the later type 14 and noticed any big difference? I don't want to go for the +2 ones with new discs etc. I already have upgraded pads - can't say it did much though..

Cheers,
Bluefield
26-3811
Bluefield
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

I made the change to type 14. I didn't see a big difference to be honest but definitely didn't want to go to type 16 because that's a huge step up in unsprung weight. I would say the most important benefit from the bigger pads is a reduced vulnerability to fade, rather than outright performance. A given amount of energy will be distributed over a larger area and will dissipate more quickly than with the type 12.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bluefield » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks Paddy,
Then my restrained budget tells me to recondition the original ones for now :)

/Bluefield
26-3811
Bluefield
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dpo#4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Bluefield,
While I've not carried out this caliper change, I'd support Paddy's analysis that the gain is in fade resistance. If the original , smaller calipers/pads/rotors are capable of wheel locking, then the tires are the main factor limiting deceleration. Increase tire grip enough by size, compound, and controlling camber change on a diving front, and then larger brakes can provide greater deceleration. Fade, however, is not fun when you're going downhill. Best to find the fade limit of a setup on the flatlands. - Ray
dpo#4
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi,

If you intend to actually use the car then I would junk the 12SP caliper and fit either type 14 or 16. The 12SP caliper is very weak with its two bolts design and choice of pad material must be very very limited. Girling dropped this caliper and I think but may be wrong that some were even replaced under warranty for type 14. Even the type 14 was further improved from a 3 to a 4 bolt design which should tell you something!
On another point it?s hard to believe that with the 12SP it would pass regulation regarding rear wheel lock. If I remember I?ll work it out tomorrow.

Anyway just my opinion but throw them in the bin.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: