Minilites or Panasports

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 pm

This is mainly directed to people in the US, but others feel free to jump in.

Which and why would you chose one over the other?

Is it personal choice, design, quality, fitment, and price or ?..?
Would a show quality car with period alloy wheels such as Minilites or Panasports be negatively assessed because of the aftermarket wheel?

I?m Interested in the reasoning behind peoples selection and perception

Thanks
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm

James,

as a person that likes steelies with knock ons or steelies with poverty caps, those are my fav. Very industrial and correct.

I get bored with Pano's.

Minilites are sweet but have been done.

I had my steel wheels bead blasted and powder coated.........be lovin' the look.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:16 am

James, I went Minilite so I could get the stock 5.5" width for the Plus 2; I believe Panasports were 5" width when I was looking and think that is the only size?

We had an extended thread (Russ called it the "Zombie Thread" :) ) recently on the fastening system for Minilite knock-ons and compared to the Panasport design. All things considered I think the Panasport is a better design in this area.

elan-plus-f13/alloy-wheel-collar-needed-t25785.html

So, if 5" width fits and floats your boat I would really consider the Panasports.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:30 am

I would prefer the Minilites for historical reasons; they were around in the era. If they are available in magnesium, then that would swing me toward them.

I bought Panasports some time ago, but never fitted them (I had installed 26R hubs by the time they arrived). They seemed heavier than the steel items, but that could just be an impression.

Out of topic, but, with stock hubs and unless I were competing, I would probably stick to the steel wheels. I agree with Mike there. They look far better, in my view, and the Elan did establish its reputation with those.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 am

I read the thread provided and understand the posssible issue with the insert coller. However, i do not see any references to the peg drive design that seems much better engineered in the minilite as opposed to the panasport.
I will post some pictures later.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 am

Pictures of both 5 x 13. The peg drive on the Panasport does not seem as good a design as the Minilite, while the steel inset hub on the Panasport appears to provide more clearance for the 3 ear spinner .

Would 26 R 3 ear spinners be an option?

James
Attachments
Min 3.jpg and
Min 2.jpg and
Min 1.jpg and
Pan 3.jpg and
Pan 2.jpg and
Pan 1.jpg and
Last edited by holywood3645 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 am

First of all I love steel wheels but I love Panasport and Minilite looks much better. Hard for me to choose though. I have Panasports as they came with the car, but like the idea of Minilites because of the historical factor and they were made in England. I've also looked at the Rota RB's in 15x6 just because of the tire options. I'm not sure you could wrong with Panasports or Minilites but if it were me I'd look for original period minilites. I'll take mine in Magnesium please.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am

My original steel wheels were a little out of round and instead of repairing them I replaced them with Panasports about 15 years ago. Didn't realize Minilites were available and pricing for the Panasports was reasonable so I got them. I wanted good wheels I could drive on as I used the car regularly.

Looking at the pictures comparing each and knowing what the drive peg arrangement looks like on the Panaports, it sure looks like the Minilites are a better design. But in all the time I've had the Panasports I've had no problem with them. Three eared knock on spinners are tight to the wheel so you have to be careful with them.

I've owned the car since 1973 and other than the wheels it is original but I don't think they detract from the car at all. I like they way the look. As I said I wanted a good driveable wheel and they are that. I don't show the car so I don't care if would lose points in a meet.

Bob
1969 S4 SE
45/8842
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am

I have 13x6 Panasport bolt ons at the moment but have knock on hubs and 26R spinners ready to go to swp over to knock on wheels.
Personally it seems the biggest issue is offset and clearance for spinners so I suspect when I do the swap Minilites will be the go.
I think both look similar but having said that the set up for the peg drive on panasports posted above by Hollywood looks less than ideal.....
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Will 26R spinners fit on standard Elan hubs?

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 pm

One question to those that have gone from steel to either minilites or panasports, did you notice a difference in performance? They do weigh more. I like the idea of going to 14", similar to what Brian did, I like the look, I like the additional options in tires, I like that you don't have a clearance issue with the wishbones. What I don't like is the extra weight on each corner. Just curious if anyone has noticed it.
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:26 pm

1969 S4 DHC, s/n 8439 post
Shows spinners on an S4 with alloy wheels and 26R type Spinners. According to the post they came from Tony Tompson in the UK. If these work on standard hubs it looks like one problem solved. The 3 ears come out fom the spinner at a different angle an look like they provide lots of clearance. But I do see a need for dust caps as the center of the spinner appears to be open.

James

PS, i will compare weights of 5x13 knockon Panasports and Minilites and post later. I think the Panasports will be lighter because of the extra mass around the peg drive on the Minilite.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 pm

abstamaria wrote:Will 26R spinners fit on standard Elan hubs?

Andy

No, 26R hubs are very different from standard Elan and +2 knock-on hubs.

I decided to edit my response: I am pretty sure the 26R hubs are different enough that 26R spinners won't work on an Elan or +2 with standard knock-on hubs.
Last edited by CBUEB1771 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 pm

holywood3645 wrote:Which and why would you chose one over the other?

The only reason I have wheels other than the standard steel wheels for my +2 is that the steel wheels are unavailable and I want to use them as little as possible. I already have 150,000 miles on these 40 year old wheels. James, thanks for posting the image of the Panasport peg-drive wheels. This illustrates perfectly why I would never use them. (Gary, let me intercept your thought. Yes, it is really easy not to put too many miles on the steel wheels when the +2 is still pushed to the back of the garage with no engine in it and me sitting on my butt.)
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 pm

I posted a wheel weights pdf in the Mods section this morning, I pulled it off of some site in 2008 and its is pretty comprehensive listing. I'll repost it here for those that can't find there way to the mods section to look at it.

As far as the Panasports go and the "lack of drive peg holes go", please tell me who has busted up a wheel. I think someone did but they let the knock-on come loose and that would mess up any alloy or steel wheel.

Gary
Hi Russ

I haven't been out in my Elan since the end of last month, I've been busy working on something important ya know. The outdoor shop is only open when its above 40 degrees and even then you have to take into account the various jobs that can be accomplished at certain time of the day. Anyway all of the summer maggots will be leaving and the rats back in class so I'll be out in the S2 soon pissing off the locals. Look for the updates in the other topic that pisses off the say brothers here on the forum.
Attachments
wheel-weight-weight.pdf
(303.61 KiB) Downloaded 951 times
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: