Ok I've had it. I need professional HELP... Ride height

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:52 am

Just spent (wasted) 3 days chasing a lop sided elan. I really don't want to re-live the pain, so I will pass on the details and get to the point. I need a good suspension setup guy in So California that can fit adjustable perches & springs to the 'rear' of my elan. I need them to fit the parts, set up all the steering geometry, and do the corner weights. I'm usually a pretty patient person and can work these things out, however this has beaten me.

Recommendations ppppppplease

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:15 am

welllll I always thought the spring rate was such to compensate for the drivers weight ---mine leans high to the driver side so when my old fat body gets on board the chassis goes to level ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:47 pm

James,

Pm sent.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi all,

Can someone please measure the clearance between the chassis cross member (air vacuum tank) and the ground? I think my Elan DHC is to low on the front.

Thanks in advance,

Tonyw
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 pm

I can't provide a measurement for that right now, but what I can say is that measuring the sills (both front and back, and both side) is a good way to check. Another thread mentioned that they should be 6 inches at all four locations. Mine were about 1/2 inch low in front and once I raised it up, the steering felt much less heavy, nice and light and responsive as I remembered it. Mine is more like 5 1/2 inches in all four locations due to lower profile tires than stock. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:59 pm

I would have thought that the most important factor is to have the correct suspension geometry so ride height is dependent on tyre size and, to an extent, inflation. :wink:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: