shocks/suspension questions

PostPost by: phatmendus » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi,

can some one please give me some advise as the manual is no good for this.
I have just stripped down my rear suspension in order to replace my shocks (I decided this was the most likley cause on my clunk in the previous post)

I have totally stripped down one side and found that the shock was totally gone (oil everywhere!) Anyhow, my questions are these. I have tried to take out my lotocone to give it a full inspection. I have taken out the two retaining bolts and it is now loose but it just will not pull through the hole in the chassis, is this normal? I have noticed that the lotocone does not resemble the picture in the manual, mine has a square metal base rather than the diamond type shape shown in the manual, is this just an aftermarket design? In terms of the condition of the cone , it looks fine as far as I can tell. The rubber is good, and no metal is separating from the rubber. Should I therefore just forget trying to force it out and leave it in place as it looks ok?

My one other question is this. When taking out the shock absorber insert, I had to undo the large threaded cap which retains the shock in the housing. On closer inspection the tread on the cap is in really bad shape although the thread on the tube (housing) is fine. It looks to me as if the last person to change the shocks must have cross threaded the cap. Anyhow, are the caps available for replacement or not? It does still screw up tight but will clearly have a lot less strength due to the verey shallow depth of the thread. Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi Simon

Not heard of the square based lotocone and is the chassis a Lotus one? It's been a long time since i had a Lotus chassis so cant remember if the lotocone drops out easily like the spyder one. Cant help you there.

As for the shock insert threaded cap, you should get a new one with your new shock insert, if you dont, i've a couple in a box somewhere.

In fact, they'll be in my pocket a stonleigh if you want them!
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:07 pm

I get my new spax either tomorrow or the day after, so I will see if they come with that cap thing. If not Ill be in touch.

I cant actually make it to Stoneleigh which is a pain so if I do need then maybe you could post them.

To answer your other question, yes it is a lotus galvanised chassis, replaced by christopher neils in 1986.

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:26 am

The outer strut tubes are often peened to make sure that the nuts don't back out. This of course ruins the nut threads when you remove them. Check the tube threads for a peened spot and if there is one file it down before you put the new nuts on

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:34 am

The Lotus Lotocones should just drop out (mine did)
Cheers
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wildoliver » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:55 am

Hi if you need your shockers reconning I can sort that no probs, I've got a cap too if its needed.
wildoliver
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: