wheeler dealer TV NLC

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 pm

I watch the Wheeler Dealer TV Show here in the U.S..

Interesting but appears if he paid for the mechanics labor he would not turn any profit.

Would a UK lister please tell me what language Mike is speaking?

Bob
1969 Elan +2
1968 TVR Vixen
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.4
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:41 pm

rdssdi wrote:
Would a UK lister please tell me what language Mike is speaking?

:lol:

That'll be the Cockney Geezer dialect!

Congratulations on reaching 5th gear Bob

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Bob, you're absolutely right, if there's one thing that the programmes do demonstrate it's that even when you do a quick and dirty restoration job, you won't get rich. However selling the parts to do the job...

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Yup references to 'profit' are done with a bit of artistic license. Maybe Ed does the work for the love of it - wonder if I could get him round to look at my +2?

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Of course I understand the show but not all of the the words the host speaks. Either I do not know the word or I cannot understand what is being said. I assume that cockney geezer is the official dialect of used car salesman.

That being said I do find it interesting. It does confirm what many of us know. A high quality restoration is a fun way to loose more money! I never added up the costs for my Lotus or TVR restoration. I am about to begin the restoration of the Jaguar MK2. That will top any restoration costs encountered to date.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
1968 TVR Vixen
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.4
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hartley hare » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:59 pm

mockney more like.!!

example:- ere mike, you dunno who's ate all the pies, do ya?

good lotus telly though..... :)
hartley hare
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:03 pm

...and it could be the same thing coming around again...

Channel 36 11:00 Tuesday 16 December 2014

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:01 pm

hartley hare wrote:mockney more like.!!

example:- ere mike, you dunno who's ate all the pies, do ya?

good lotus telly though..... :)

now your not telling a lot of porkies to the trouble an strife are ya :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:19 pm

I find it entertaining and not much different than many cars I have done in the past. In the end my profit never took into account labor. In the 80's I would buy up Morris Minor's, Sunbeams, etc. and clean them up, and make them safe. I made money on all of them, but certainly not enough to consider it a career.

We have lots of programs here in the USA where they do the 2 week restoration thing, and some who do the entire restoration with no timeline indicated. One show (forgot the name) I was watching last week took a Studebaker pickup and modified the body only, leaving it in bare metal. I believe the price tag to the customer was $125,000 (US) and there was approx. 1500 hours of labor. I find it bizarre that people will spend that much for something worth a fraction of what they paid. Oh well different strokes...
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi All

I watch the restoration programmes on TV but do not allow the simplistic accounts and sale prices to spoil the restoration of classic cars.
These shows are just typical of todays reality TV that is fully scripted and always a success, we have to restore our cars in the real world and encounter all sorts of problems.
I wish I could find the cars in the condition that they do, and also the buyers with the cash queuing up to buy.

Maybe I should have had a TV producer and production team to organise the restoration of my car as it has taken me since 1986 to slowly improve it whilst in use.

Cheers
Last edited by Hawksfield on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi All

I watch the restoration programmes on TV but do not allow the simplistic accounts and sale prices to spoil the restoration of classic cars.
These shows are just typical of todays reality TV that is fully scripted and always a success, we have to restore our cars in the real world and encounter all sorts of problems.
I wish I could find the cars in the condition that they do, and also the buyers with the cash queuing up to buy.

Maybe I should have had a TV producer and production team to organise the restoration of my car as it has taken me since 1986 to slowly improve it whilst in use.

Cheers
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:07 pm

You can say that again....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 am

It's the same language I use on my wife. How many cars do you all think we could have if we told them we are loosing money on each one!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear