clunking suspension

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:24 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself, Keith!! :)

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:34 pm

Just a thought - and my 10cents worth!-

You're sure the springs are the correct length? sort of a question and statement rolled into one. if they're slightly short, they'll clunk with no weight, whereas with a bit of weight, they'll be compressed into their seats and no clunking.

Hope it's as simple and as cheap as that.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:05 am

Yes the springs seem fine to me. I think I am going to go down the route of new shocks anyway as they have say doing nothing for 12 or so years. Once they are off the car I am hoping I should be able to check the rest of the components for wear.

More expense but thats the joy!

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Resurrecting this thread as I also have a clunk when the suspension goes up & down, I've posted a video here - http://lionheartsolutions.com/lotus/StrutTop_clunk.mp4. Sound levels are high, so clunking is not that loud!

Please pardon the camera jerkiness, it's hard holding the phone still while bouncing t he back of the car :roll:

I chased down a large clunking to my seat belt top mount, but noticed this while everything was apart.

Looking at the parts diagram, if the Shock top nut is tight (which it is) & the lotocone is OK (again OK), Am I right in thinking it can only be the shock insert moving in the strut assembly?

I've ordered a thin 1.5" spanner/wrench to check it
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:17 am

Any feedback on this??
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:38 am

I had trouble getting my shocks tight to the towers. I eventually made a tool to grab the piston rod. Until then they went "Bang! Bang! KaBoom!" Yours sound like a regular tapping? Could it be instead something to do with wheel rotation? John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:40 am

baileyman wrote: Could it be instead something to do with wheel rotation? John

I don't think so, happens with the car stationary with me bouncing it up & down, as in the video.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 pm

just in case, to clear out this remote option there is the diff torque arms in the area that can cause cluncks (but more likely not if stationary, and the noise actually comes from the diff on the chassis) - I've had that and it's not too obvious to track down when it's mild and only the rubber being softened and not torn apart...

then I would concentrate first on the shock rod nut coming lose (at the top - caution not to marr the shaft if trying to hold it to do in the nut : if to be pinched by wise grip, I'd use 2 pieces of wood with a half cylindrical hole of near the rod diameter to press on),
then the shock body itself being lose inside the tube (this requires taking the suspension off I suspect).
is it only one side ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:34 pm

nmauduit wrote:then I would concentrate first on the shock rod nut coming lose (at the top - caution not to marr the shaft if trying to hold it to do in the nut : if to be pinched by wise grip, I'd use 2 pieces of wood with a half cylindrical hole of near the rod diameter to press on),.....

The Top nut is quite tight, checked that. The Rubber mounting is not great, but looks OK...

nmauduit wrote:then the shock body itself being lose inside the tube (this requires taking the suspension off I suspect).
is it only one side ?

It is only one side, I think I can get my new 1 1/2" service spanner (wrench) on there without taking this apart... watch this space...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:48 pm

I posted recently about a noise that was the damper body retaining nut being loose, actually undone, allowing the body of the damper to move up and down in its housing, clunking on descent, even under bouncing as in Phil's video; his doesn't sound hard enough for that but presumably the 1.5" spanner is for turning that big nut if it isn't tight.

What a pity the OP didn't tell his outcome at the end of his thread; we've all been guilty, I guess.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:36 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:What a pity the OP didn't tell his outcome at the end of his thread; we've all been guilty, I guess.

Totally :roll: ....

And Yes, I was able to tighten the nut with my new 1.5" special spanner to solve the issue :D :D :D
I managed to get about an 1/8" of a turn of the nut.
IMG_1900.jpg and
1 1/2" Service Spanner

IMG_1899.jpg and
Access still not great...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:13 am

Phil well done and have you centre punched the Tube to be sure it wont unscrew :?
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 am

pharriso wrote: I think I can get my new 1 1/2" service spanner (wrench) on there without taking this apart...

excellent ! an other special tool to add to the list one needs for an efficient maintenance of elans...

1/8" of a turn for a 24TPI thread I believe, that is not a lot of play...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 am

On my +2 when happened i tightened it with a pair of Stilsons.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:30 am

Alan

How did you manage to get a pair of stilsons in between the spring coils?
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: