Poor handling S4

PostPost by: Bill » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 am

Misdirected

The sages always said "tighten it up" - that ALWAYS applies to an Elan suspension. If the chassie is sound rebush the suspension, insure that the steering components are in spec and put your foot to the floor and enjoy.

But as always - Keep your stick on the ice!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:36 am

Misdirected

The sages always said "tighten it up" - that ALWAYS applies to an Elan suspension. If the chassie is sound rebush the suspension, insure that the steering components are in spec and put your foot to the floor and enjoy.

But as always - Keep your stick on the ice!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:40 am

Hi Gary,

Whilst many/most use this Forum to gain answers to problems and then carry out the work themselves,
some do not.

Olly22n was given Pat Thomas as a suggested "trade" solution. He seemed interested, saying he would ring him next day.

I simply confirmed that in my view, that was a good option, IF he decided to go down that route rather than do the work himself.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 am

Hi Olly,
Yes that's him... he's on Bourne Road and not easy to find as there is no Lotus sign or another trade markings if it comes to that.
You'll notice three coloured stripes on a tree post as you approach his driveway you can't miss it it has very high hedging all around the premises.
Whilst you're there get him to show you the Lotus 47 "snorkel" and a white 26R he has for sale in his showroom.

Gino
Milano - Italy
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:49 am

Hi Olly,

Sounds like you and I have the similar problems - The handling on my S4 always disappointed me.

This site is a great place to start and to bounce ideas around.

What I would suggest is that you do some basic checks yourself to check bushes and bearings. How old/tired are your tyres ? go to a tyre place and have your wheels balanced and get a free tracking check.

I?m convinced that my handling issues are due to front springs being too hard and too long and poor adjustment of the adjustable dampers. (and the tyres were 30 years old)

Before you spend any money remember that Lotus were in possession of the technology to ?Improve? the handling, but to produce a road car for the public they will have spent many hours de/tuning individual components? i.e. they chose to use soft springs and rubber bushes etc. and produced a car which is renowned for its handling.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:30 am

AHM wrote:
Before you spend any money remember that Lotus were in possession of the technology to ?Improve? the handling, but to produce a road car for the public they will have spent many hours de/tuning individual components? i.e. they chose to use soft springs and rubber bushes etc. and produced a car which is renowned for its handling.

Simon

Yes, it's worth remembering that Lotus designed and built the Elan as a road sports car. Contemporary road tests praised not only the handling but also the ride comfort compared to other sports cars of the day.

There is a fashion to tweak and modify Elans these days but it should be remembered that every change from adjustable shocks to radical mods take the car further away from the original Lotus design.

If you put an Elan back to original spec' it should behave and handle as well as the cars the road testers enthused about back in the sixties.

Track cars of course are another matter ........ :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SprinTango » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Olly, If you are indeed only 20 miles from Pat Thomas, I wouldn't hesitate to take your car there for assessment. Yes there is much experience and knowledge within this forum but this is not a substitute for having someone who's day job is Elan's from looking at and driving your car.
SprinTango
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: