Sun roof

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:35 am

Thanks Tim,
I love that type of early info about Lotus. A fluid company with few facts.
Could this be true too of the current Lotus establishment? Nah.
the old Elan days and ways are gone forever... when did it change?
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:32 am

Hi Chris

Mine has been fitted with a Glass Sunroof which appears to be totally water tight, it does let in a lot of light but as it hinges at teh front and only tilts up approx 2" it does not offer much respite from the heat unless the windows are open then it does make a huge difference to the air flow / changes

[/img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh303/pmallinson/MorganLotus.jpg
Attachments
Morgan & Lotus.jpg and
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 am

Hi

My +2 has a Webasto roof from new, factory fitted. My understanding is that they were a dealer fit option when new but my car was a Lotus company car for the first year of its life (in the charge of |Richard Morley, the Lotus Cars MD at the time). When I got teh details of teh car from the factory they confirmed that it was fitted with the roof and oil cooler from new and as o dealer was involved the 'Works' must have fitted it. They clearly were not that good at fitting them as the frame tapers slightly from front to back so the roof will not open all the way back. But I wouldn't be without it. It makes the car so much nicer to drive in the summer. Light airy and cool al the time you keep on the move. Don't fit the aerofoil spoiler on the front of opening though. It makes the air inside the car reverberate like an organ pipe at 40 to 50 mph. Very painful. Its fine and calm inside without it deployed. Picture attached (I hope)

Roy
Attachments
PICT0006posting.jpg and
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:33 am

Just noticed that I have posted to this string before (years ago!!) Well at least you have the picture this time!

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:03 pm

I agree Roy, the Webasto roof is great. I think mine is a dealer fit because it is fitted well. It is original and is now becoming a bit tatty, but never ever leaks. I drive with it open 90% of the time throughout the year (and I live in rainey Derbyshire) as it just makes the car much brighter and airier and in the winter it doesn't steam up. The aerodynamics are great in that it's quiet with no blast of air at my head when it's open, and even when it's raining I don't get wet unless I stop.

I'd recommend it to anyone considering it, and as Roy's picture shows, it doesn't detract from the looks of the car at all.

S.. :D
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi

I like the rag roof, it does get very warm in the car on a long journey. I am considering having one fitted when I eventually get the car re-painted.

Here's a couple of shots of one at Stoneleigh this year.

Jason
Attachments
IMG_0016.JPG and
IMG_0015.JPG and
IMG_0012.JPG and
IMG_0011.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:58 am

I had a leaky Britax in my +2. It wasn't worth repairing. It was much cheaper to replace the roof panel to get rid of it. I did think the car looked great with the sunroof but wanted it dry inside. I would be interested in fitting a glass one in the future - one like in the Esprit which can be lifted out an put into the boot. The old Fiesta XR2 panel was like that, so there must be loads in the scrap yards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: