Soundproofing

PostPost by: hugheip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I would really appreciate if anyone can suggest effective soundproofing for an Elan +2.

I have just bought a 1970 Elan +2 130/s and just love it. The previous owner fitted an exhaust modification it burbles beautifully and sounds great when accelerating. The problem is when it is idling or at low speeds it resonates in the cockpit and the other half is not enjoying it as much!!

I've put a boot floor mat which has helped slightly but I'm thinking more drastic measures are required. I suppose I could look at quieten the exhaust noise down but don't really want to lose the way it sounds too much.

Thanks
hugheip
New-tral

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Ear plugs
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Divorce..
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Why not revert the exhaust system to the way Lotus designed it? Still sounds good and is correct for the car.

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:06 pm

hugheip wrote: The problem is when it is idling or at low speeds it resonates in the cockpit and the other half is not enjoying it as much!! Thanks

Check that the engine mountings have not collapsed and transmitting a vibration/roughness to the chassis, also check that the exhaust is not touching the body/chassis particularly around the branch manifold and the exhust hagers are all O.K.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: