Trunnion

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:04 pm

There have been numerous treads about 'how many turns does your trunnion go on?'
And as I'm rebuilding my Plus 2 I'm wondering that too !!
This is what mine is set at without squishing the top seal too much.
What are yours set at?

Ian.
Attachments
trunnion.jpg and
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Keep turning until it won't go any further, squishing the top seal if necessary. You need all of the threads to be engaged.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:07 am

Yep, I concur! They should be screwed all the way on then backed off enough to obtain correct alignment. The seal will look after itself and seat accordingly. Keep these well lubed. Gear oil is the recommended, but I use a Kluber liquid grease. I almost fitted a little auto lubricator also but so far have not done so. Not sure this is required. A couple of shots every few miles is enough. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only kidding.. Every hour or so is fine! :lol: :lol: :lol: The Kluber product is superb, reassuringly expensive but I carry it in my car for my clients using (for E.G.) CNC routers which have auto lube' systems. Brilliant product.. less messy than oil and smells a whole lot better too. :wink:

Have fun. Summer is almost upon us..

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 am

i have used grease since 1984 with no failure ----- :D :D :D :D ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Shouldn't have said that Ed! I can hear a rattle starting... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grease is the word! Said he in a very high voice.. Oil has its supporters and works very well also. Poss' better. I just like Kluber products. I always use it in high speed bearings. Fabulous products.

Alex.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Alex,
What product number for the Kluber liquid grease?
Thanks,
Colin

alexblack13 wrote:Shouldn't have said that Ed! I can hear a rattle starting... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grease is the word! Said he in a very high voice.. Oil has its supporters and works very well also. Poss' better. I just like Kluber products. I always use it in high speed bearings. Fabulous products.

Alex.....
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Kluber Lubrication... Munich

Art Number is0201810037 ... Centoplex GLP 500 1 Kg tin cost approx 45 gbp retail. My company sells the stuff for inclusion in the auto lub' systems on fancy CNC controlled woodworking machinery... :wink: These machines can detect when system is empty and shut down after a warning or two. First question I ask when I get one of those ''its stopped working'' calls :lol: :lol:

Bit too good for trunnions but that's just me... Hope this helps...

Alex.... 8)
Attachments
011.JPG and
009.JPG and
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks for the replys guys but this wasn't a thread about what you put in your trunnions.
It was about getting a collective average figure on how far the trunnion is threaded onto the vertical link.
That way; people will know if the trunnion is screwed onto the link far enough.
So let us try and assertain that mysterious average figure :D

Cheers,

Ian.
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:46 am

If I was you,I'd screw them all the way in and then back-off to fit ,but make sure that you allow a bit extra so that they don't bottom at full lock...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 am

I've just measured mine and it is about 62mm. That probably means yours is correct, or perhaps it will go round by one more turn.

When I first rebuilt mine with new seals I screwed the trunnion all the way on and it seemed like the seal was too compressed and was making the trunnion stiff, so I was tempted to back it off by one turn. However, this is wrong - the seal just takes care of itself and before long there is no resistance. Just screw the trunnion on as far as it will go and then turn it back until it is in the correct position to go into the wishbone. There should be close to 90 degrees of travel in both directions from the "straight ahead" position if you do this.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks for the replys guys but this wasn't a thread about what you put in your trunnions.
It was about getting a collective average figure on how far the trunnion is threaded onto the vertical link.
That way; people will know if the trunnion is screwed onto the link far enough.
So let us try and assertain that mysterious average figure :D

Cheers,

Ian.

Out of curiosity I just measured mine - RHS 61mm LHS 66mm. Since the car is still up on stands I took the LHS apart to make sure it was assembled correctly and it is. It's a new upright on that side so that could explain the difference between the two. If I were to set the two to the same installed dimension then either the RHS would be one turn too loose or the LHS would be one turn too tight and restrict steering lock. The moral is....you cannot rely on a measurement to set them up correctly, particularly if you are using replacement parts.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

I repeat..It screws ALL the way up then back it off enough to line it up.

Whats the problem?

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 pm

I repeat..It screws ALL the way up then back it off enough to line it up.

Whats the problem?

Alex B....

Alex, If you are referring to my post.......there is no problem, I am agreeing with you. Just pointing out that you CANNOT set them up by measuring.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Not referring to your post Roger. I noticed you agreed.

These have to be screwed all the way up to use ALL available threaded area. They do differ side to side and as you say dimensionally irrelevant.

Hope this is clearer, but It you want a dimension mine are 62 O/s and 65 (ish) N/s. Approx'

Ian... Sorry for shooting of at a tangent but your question was answered, and lubrication (Black art!!) is always a great subject for discussion. You inadvertently opened it again.. :lol:

Roger.. the difference is one side (O/s) is screwed further up than the other. Approx 1 thread, and (I think!) The thread is approx (from mem') 3mm pitch

Alex B...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 pm

I agree with the others, full in and the back out until you can turn a full 90 degrees to both sides. One side of mine had to come out almost one full turn where the other only need a quarter of a turn.

Now back to the lubricant. I have just lubed my reconditioned trunions with Castrol Spheerol L/EP 0, witch is also used for some CV-joints, and sounds very similar to what Alex describes. It can be bought here: http://www.rgracing.co.uk/Castrol_Classic_Oils.htm also see picture. At first it feels like soft grease, but it quickly heats up in your hand and turns almost like gear oil. Now I will se how it goes when i get back on the road... hopefully soon.
Attachments
Castrol Spheerol.jpg and
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: