Brake Master Cylinder

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:31 pm

I want to try a 5/8" bore master cylinder to see if I find it better than the standard 0.7" currently fitted. Where do I get one? The usual suspects say no. Use the clutch master cylinder has been a common response - this advice is being ignored.

I can find the 5/8" bore size with removeable plastic pot - maybe this is the most convenient way to go.

Comments please.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 pm

These people might be worth a try Brian.....http://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/wcylinder.html
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:13 pm

bcmc33 wrote:I want to try a 5/8" bore master cylinder to see if I find it better than the standard 0.7" currently fitted. Where do I get one? The usual suspects say no. Use the clutch master cylinder has been a common response - this advice is being ignored.

I can find the 5/8" bore size with removeable plastic pot - maybe this is the most convenient way to go.

Comments please.

For other reasons I fitted master Cylinders with remote Reservoirs (Clutch & Brake) mounted on the Passenger side Bulkhead.
Not a cheap alternative, considering the stainless braided Hoses & Banjo fittings etc.
But, that means
1. Practicality:- a 5/8" Cylinder will be usable
2. Safety:- Translucent Reservoirs are visible as soon as you open the Bonnet.
3. Service:- Refilling the System is so much easier due to the improved access.

Sold?

Cheers
John

Photo added
Attachments
Remote Reservoirs1.jpg and
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Brian,
Heres what I did for the same reasons as JP.
M/C is from TTR, pot and flexi from Rally Design.

Cheers
John
Attachments
IMG_0121rs.JPG and
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:54 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:For other reasons I fitted master Cylinders with remote Reservoirs (Clutch & Brake) mounted on the Passenger side Bulkhead.
Sold?

Thanks to both John & John, I can't say it hadn't crossed my mind to do the remote option. What about a picture from you JP?
As a matter of interest - what would be the objection to using one reservoir to feed both cylinders? AP do a reservoir with two oultets.

Paddy,
All the 5/8? options you showed are small pot (44mm) clutch cylinders. I had already checked with Eurospares and Burton.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:For other reasons I fitted master Cylinders with remote Reservoirs (Clutch & Brake) mounted on the Passenger side Bulkhead.
Sold?

Thanks to both John & John, I can't say it hadn't crossed my mind to do the remote option. What about a picture from you JP?
As a matter of interest - what would be the objection to using one reservoir to feed both cylinders? AP do a reservoir with two oultets.

Paddy,
All the 5/8? options you showed are small pot (44mm) clutch cylinders. I had already checked with Eurospares and Burton.

Photo added to my 1st Post
1 Reservoir for both, why & probably illegal?
Your humble Servant
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi Brian - all

I have just bought one 5/8 brake master cylinder with large pot from TTR at ? 56,- plus VAT.
Tony recommended Mintex 1144 brake pads to go with it.
I want to get rid of the brake servo for hopefully better brake response.
Attachments
5_8 master cylinder.JPG and
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:00 pm

bcmc33 wrote:Paddy, All the 5/8? options you showed are small pot (44mm) clutch cylinders. I had already checked with Eurospares and Burton.

Sorry, silly me, should have looked more carefully.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

paddy wrote:Sorry, silly me, should have looked more carefully.

Paddy, It's not that obvious - most of the pictures are simply illustrations and not pictures of the actual items.

Jas wrote:I have just bought one 5/8 brake master cylinder with large pot from TTR at ? 56,- plus VAT

Jannik, I phoned TTR twice with no reply. I didn't have the brains to look at their list where the 5/8" is clearly stated. Stupid, or what?
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:31 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:Photo added to my 1st Post

The set-up looks nice, John. I have the fuse box and a bunch of cables neatly housed in that area.

Why illegal? One reservoir located where John has his is possible for me, and having it feeding both cylinders in series seemed like a good idea. Perhaps it is just one of my 90% of good ideas that turn out not to be so good.
However, I thought the AP two outlet reservoir was maybe a clue.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 pm

There's a thread here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=29158873

where someone ways that a shared reservoir for clutch and brakes is used by Porsche for a number of models - so I guess it's not illegal. However, they do also say that the arrangement is done in a way that ensures the brakes still work even if there is a leak in the clutch circuit. (The take-off for the clutch is at a higher point in the reservoir.)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:00 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:Photo added to my 1st Post

The set-up looks nice, John. I have the fuse box and a bunch of cables neatly housed in that area.

Why illegal? One reservoir located where John has his is possible for me, and having it feeding both cylinders in series seemed like a good idea. Perhaps it is just one of my 90% of good ideas that turn out not to be so good.
However, I thought the AP two outlet reservoir was maybe a clue.

Good point AP twin outlet.
For dual circuit Brakes maybe? if not OK not illegal.
The space that I've used is not available in your application so why not go for it with just one as per t'other John or maybe one in front of the other.
I'd prefer to have the Clutch system separate because the slave Cylinder is subjected to so much Exhaust heat & more likely to fail.
With a combined Reservoir the Brakes could suffer dramatically under such circumstances.
This is one of those areas where I would not look at the Budget.
Oh & TTR supplied all of the bits I needed for the job, includingReservoirs Cylinders, mounting Brackets (although I made my own single one) Hosing & Banjo unions.
And thanks for the compliment; a fair amount of thought went into the Engine Bay.

Errm you posted whilst I was composing Paddy :roll:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:I'd prefer to have the Clutch system separate because the slave Cylinder is subjected to so much Exhaust heat & more likely to fail.

Do I take it that your Zetec set-up does not have a concentric clutch actuator?

Mine will when I put it back together.

However, I'm going off my brilliant single reservoir idea. :roll:
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:03 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:I'd prefer to have the Clutch system separate because the slave Cylinder is subjected to so much Exhaust heat & more likely to fail.

Do I take it that your Zetec set-up does not have a concentric clutch actuator?

Mine will when I put it back together.

However, I'm going off my brilliant single reservoir idea. :roll:

No I was considering an MT75 G/box but at the time I wasn't getting the answers I needed from the People supposed to be "in the Know"
Not to mention that the spare cash was running very low.
Also the very first Zetec Elan (not+2) converted by those People suffered a catastrophic Propshaft failure at motorway speeds.
Note:- My Elan was the first privately converted Zetec Elan & although I say so myself, done properly.

I used the original Box but with TTR alloy Bellhousing/Tailhousing.
Unanswered questions were resolved by retaining the standard Clutch & Speedo drive systems.
The Zetec exhaust is much "fatter" than the normal Twinc' system but my "Pipe bender Man" (at his 2nd stab at it) put a nice heat shield on the system which, up till now, seems to have protected the slave Cylinder.

I'd love one of those 6 Speed Boxes that have been written about on here but once again the answers are not forthcoming.
Brits have great ideas & do lots of work on their products & then they lose the plot :evil:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: