Restored Steering Wheel

PostPost by: skelteanema » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:36 am

Hi Mark, Adi, others,

Maybe I am just revealing my considerable ignorance on all things Lotus :oops: , but why is this particular steering wheel rare?
The steering wheel in this thread looks very similar to that in my car. Here was I being envious of those with wood rim or Colin Chapman signature steering wheels, when I may in fact have a rather rare steering wheel in my own car. To rephrase the question slightly, what different steering wheels were fitted to the different models, and what features do they have?
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 am

It's rare because not many were made! It was only fitted to the S2 S/E and S3 S/E, and then only for a short time. There were few S2 S/E cars made, and the Chapman signed wheel was put on the S3 S/E about two thirds the way through production. In contrast, all S4 and S4 Sprint cars had a Chapman signed wheel, all S1 and nearly all S2 cars had the woodrim, along with many S3 cars.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 am

Hi Mark,
sorry but i don't agree about all sprints having signed wheels. I have a 1972 elan sprint fhc and i know the history from the first owner ( lotus dealers personal car ). Second owner with all documented history for 23 years. Third owner for 5 years who i know personaly then me Fourth owner.
I am absolutely certain it has the original steering wheel without the chapman signature.
Also the badges on the front wings are both the championship badges and no elan sprint badge on either side.
The only lotus i have had with the chapman signature steering wheel was a 1968 elan+2.
It seems to me there are no fixed rules with lotus and whatever was the nearest to hand was sometimes used.
I hope its o.k. for me to say this and it doesn't upset you or Tim with his elan sprint website
Alan b
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Alan
With all things Lotus there are always exceptions, and things like the badges and steering wheels show these up quite often. I always try and use words like 'probably' and 'mainly' with attempted definitions, and I'm not at all surprised when differences turn up.

The steering wheels were just standard Springalex items with the signature stamped in, and if the factory ran out of the signed ones, they would (probably!) get in a few standard ones. My very early Plus 2 has a plain wheel, identical to my later car's wheel with the exception of the signature. I have an S4 with a signature wheel, and one without which is identical in all other respects. Both very original cars, so a good chance that that is the way they came from the factory.

I do think that it's impossible (probably!) to be definitive about these sort of things, but (mainly) all S4s and Sprints had the signature wheel!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Alan

We've spoken about this before and I agree with Mark, there were clearly a few cars that left the factory without a signed wheel. However, I believe most Sprint owners would like to see Colins signature on there.

Am I right in thinking that the Europa and Seven did not have signature wheels? If so, that may be where your wheel came from Alan - the wrong parts bin at the factory! The fitter was probably on the sauce the night before .....

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Skittle,

Another thing about he S/E wheels is that even though rare they were often replaced with aftermarket "upgrades", so now they are even rarer, while the appeal of original cars has risen. It is a lovely wheel though, and fits the earlier cars better than the Chapman one (which I feel goes really well with the Sprint with its rocker switches, etc.).

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Steeringwheel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Thank you for your comments ElanSeries2, I hope to see some of you and your cars at the Lotus show.

Len.
Last edited by Steeringwheel on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steeringwheel
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:49 am

If I remember correctly I think that the Europa Wheel has a deeper dish than the Elan Wheel.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 am

Len Chandler was at Donington and he is now remaking Elan steering wheels.

I took a terrible photo of his Sprint wheel, complete with Chapman signature and leather rim. Len said they were retailing at ?375 if I remember.

Tim
Attachments
Donington 2011 Chandler Remake.JPG and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:40 am

Len Chandler was at Donington and he is now remaking Elan steering wheels, TRW states.

Now is that going to devalue, increase or what, the value of original signed wheels?

DISCUSS.......................

For my two penarth, I would think that original wheels, will still be much in demand, what would you rather have?

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 am

Penarth - a coastal town of South Wales famed for its pier.
Last edited by elanfan1 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:27 pm

512BB wrote:
Now is that going to devalue, increase or what, the value of original signed wheels?

Leslie

At that price they will be as rare as the originals! :wink:
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 pm

512BB wrote:Len Chandler was at Donington and he is now remaking Elan steering wheels, TRW states.

For my two penarth, I would think that original wheels, will still be much in demand, what would you rather have?

Leslie

I suppose that will very much depend upon these wheels being visually identifiable as being "reproductions" & peoples integrity. :roll:

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frizer » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:50 am

512BB wrote:Len Chandler was at Donington and he is now remaking Elan steering wheels, TRW states.

Leslie

It will be interesting to see what this one goes for:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160639277455
type 36 (previous owner)
Frizer
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:38 am

Elanfan 1 wrote: Penarth - a coastal town of South Wales famed for it's pier.

Still a smart arse I see, however, I hope that you are over your health issues that I have been hearing about, sincerely.

Grumpy bodger wrote: I suppose that will very much depend upon these wheels being visually identifiable as being "reproductions" & peoples integrity.
I dont think there will be any problem identifing one of Lens wheels from an original John, as from Tims photo, the leather caps at the end of the spokes look far to long to me, to be mistaken for an original wheel.

Nice weekend all,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: