Tandem Master Cylinder

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Has anyone sourced a tandem master cylinder to replace the single circuit 0.7-inch Girling m/c for a RHD Elan S3 SE? I want to convert to dual circuit brakes for safety reasons but was told that there is no tandem master cylinder that will fit under the Webers on a RHD Elan. I can fit my hand all around the m/c in my car so I would think that a tandem m/c with remote reservoir would fit. Any ideas, solutions?

I am goiing to remove my faulty servo and am looking for a higher friction brake pad so any advice there is appreciated too.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:55 pm

welll we've been through this on another thread and its a huge undertaking costly and time consuming -----but try Burton's or Dave Beans ----ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:37 pm

I think the issue on that one was due to the outlet ports being more suitable to a RHD car and it was used on a LHD and required a bit of hacking on the fender well -

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 pm

not quite ---there is a plate to hold the 2 masters to manufacture -a modification of the brake pedal for the bias bar --new brake lines --reservoirs ---its a major undertaking ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:47 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:Has anyone sourced a tandem master cylinder to replace the single circuit 0.7-inch Girling m/c for a RHD Elan S3 SE? I want to convert to dual circuit brakes for safety reasons but was told that there is no tandem master cylinder that will fit under the Webers on a RHD Elan. I can fit my hand all around the m/c in my car so I would think that a tandem m/c with remote reservoir would fit. Any ideas, solutions?

Not sure which master you are looking to use, but most that I have seen (for street use) are taller than than the stock single. I know that on my RHD I can barely get the cap off the single because of the carbs, and I don't see how a taller one would fit.

Obviously, the RHD racing variants used a dual setup, but the complications of fitting one of these has already been mentioned.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Galwaylotus wrote:Has anyone sourced a tandem master cylinder to replace the single circuit 0.7-inch Girling m/c for a RHD Elan S3 SE? I want to convert to dual circuit brakes for safety reasons but was told that there is no tandem master cylinder that will fit under the Webers on a RHD Elan. I can fit my hand all around the m/c in my car so I would think that a tandem m/c with remote reservoir would fit. Any ideas, solutions?

I am goiing to remove my faulty servo and am looking for a higher friction brake pad so any advice there is appreciated too.

I'm tempted to agree with your proposal, it's something I've considered doing myself.
Another safety aspect is actually having remote reservoirs in a position where you can see the fluid levels; makes maintainance one hell of a lot easier as well.
I fitted a single cylinder each for the brakes & clutch with remote plastic reservoirs fitted to the bulkhead on the passenger side of the engine bay.
Aeroquip hosing was used to connect up with Banjo fittings going into the top of the master cylinders, there's just not enough room for reasonable pipe bends down there below the Carbs.
Surely one of the known suppliers must have a suitable "Tandem" master cylinder to suit?
You could then have a row of 3 reservoirs (2 Brake +1 Clutch) within view & easy reach.

I think the other posts concerned themselves with twin parallel brake cylinders, connected mechanically via a balance bar, which can be adjusted to provide a variable bias between the front & rear brakes.
Useful in racing but as mentioned difficult to install.

Going the Tandem cylinder route should be easy to achieve once you've found the right cylinder.
Try Demon Tweeks maybe?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sotul86 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi
I?ve a tandem cylinder from a caterham it works lovely....planning to upgrade to +2 brakes in front but it woorks great even without them, also have a brake proportian valve for the brakes in the back. the cylinder is (Dual brake master cylinder Girling 74066147, parallel bore 11/16")
Attachments
PICT0196.JPG and
Johan
sotul86
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Tony Thompson sells a dual circuit master cylinder, it fits but is fiddly to top up with the standard air box in place.

regards

Andy
Last edited by batfish on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Kelvendon sells a very pretty RHD tandem pedal box. A bit pricey, but I'd buy a LHD one if he gets around to it.

Tom
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm

TomR wrote:Kelvendon sells a very pretty RHD tandem pedal box. A bit pricey, but I'd buy a LHD one if he gets around to it.

Tom

Tom, that's a dual master cylinder setup, not a tandem master cylinder. I don't want to do major surgery on the car, just convert to dual circuit braking with a single tandem master cylinder. At over ?500 for the pedal box and balance bar, "a bit pricey" is an understatement!
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Ed - by now you should have figured out we are on a different page -

galway and John -

I have sourced a couple of aluminum .75 inch tandem master cylinders made by Raybestos - They are obsoleted from the current catalog so you have to scramble around a bit. For those over seas look to cross late 70's Nissan/Datsun - the Japanese items will even have the out let ports going in the right direction for you all - be careful though be cause some come equipped set up for remote reservoirs and some don't... The Raysestos i used also required me to shave the end where the push rod goes in to clear the hole in the fire wall -

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: brian wilson » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 pm

I have a dual circuit master cylinder on my Plus 2 adapted from a Mitsubushi E300 van with dual servos. Works really well
brian wilson
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi, like Johan I?m also using the Girling/Lucas/TRW - Caterham master cylinder. This is the correct size at 0.7? but the pushrod needs modification.

I intend to use a remote reservoir which I hope to fit where the starter solenoid would normally go. As I don?t have my engine fitted could somebody please take a measurement for me?

I would like to know what the distance is between the bulkhead and the weber type carbs.

I can take a picture if not clear.

Thanks
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 pm

patrics wrote:I intend to use a remote reservoir which I hope to fit where the starter solenoid would normally go. As I don?t have my engine fitted could somebody please take a measurement for me?
I would like to know what the distance is between the bulkhead and the weber type carbs.ThanksSteve

Hi Steve, maybe this pic will help (its my S2)
Attachments
BULKHEAD 003 [1024x768].JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Here are some girling parts numbers.
The S4 dual master cilinder fits nicely under the Webers on my RHD S1

Elan, S1 up to 100 -- Brake, Master Cylinder, Girling 64067948
Elan, S1 up to 100 -- Brake, Master Cylinder, rebuild kit, Girling
SP2102, TR4
Elan, S1 sn100 on -- Brake, Master Cylinder, Girling 64068063
Elan, S1 sn100 on -- Brake, Master Cylinder rebuild kit, Girling SP2173,
Cortina Mk1
Elan S2, S3, S4 -- Brake, Master Cylinder, Girling 64068325
Elan S2, S3, S4 -- Brake, Master Cylinder rebuild kit, Girling SP2172
Elan S4, SE, Sprint --- Brake, Master Cylinder - Dual, Girling 64068928
Elan S4, SE, Sprint --- Brake, Master Cylinder - Dual rebuild kit, Girling
SP2610 Girling discs; front 9,5 in, Rear10 in.

Single brake master cylinder
Girling 64068324, bore 5/8"
Servo-assisted on SE 2:1 boost ratio.
Eric
64 S1
ct. USA
ecamiel
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: