Front suspension assembly

PostPost by: davidj » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of assembling the front suspension. I have a square section O ring about 2 inch diameter which I remember fitted into one of the recesses in the casting which holds the brake caliper when I took the assembly apart, but cannot remember which side! I have a exploded view of the GT6 MK3 assembly and sure enough the seal is shown between the upright and the caliper casting. However, I would have thought the casting would bolt directly onto the upright, it fits together snugly and there is no need for a seal there anyway.

I cannot see the seal shown on the elan workshop manual, and I cannot see what use this seal is anyway? Could it sit outside of the felt hub seal or on the hub?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:09 pm

I have to say I've never seen the point of a seal there.

If you look at the exploded diagram of the corresponding Herald item (see here: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005374) then there is no seal - hence none on the Elan originally. Triumph seem to have introduced it for the 6-cylinder cars with the larger caliper plate (like this, presumably the same diagram as you're looking at: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008048).

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Yup you are right. That is the diagram I am looking at. Well spotted. The seal is part 138051. ( What is 138559?) I thought the Elan +2 used the GT6 front suspension? Certainly the caliper plate and upright on my car are similar to http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008048, The caliper plate is round rather than square.

Anyone else have this version of the suspension and an idea where the seal should go or even if it is required?

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Is it part of the dust seal. Item 15 on the Lotus Parts Manual- part No 050 C 6002
Click on Attachment to enlarge.
Attachments
Pages from Elan +2 Parts Manual.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fraggle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Just finished rebuilding my front suspension. There was no flat O ring on mine when i pulled it apart nor was there one when i bought a new seal kit to replace it. Just the felt encased with a metal backing plate.
Fraggle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi,

I think TeeJay is correct; the ID of the washer is the same as the OD of the felt seal, so I think it fits over the felt seal up against the outer side of the break caliper mounting (unlike the exploded diagram, where it is shown on the inner side!)

Thanks for your help, David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:31 pm

The rubber seal goes between the upright and the caliper mount bracket in the recess in the bracket. The felt seal is fitted so that the felt rubs on the upright ie facing away from the bearing.

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:40 am

Hi,

Now I am confused! The upright has a boss which fits into the recess in the caliper mount bracket. If the rubber seal was in the recess, the bracket would not be flush onto the upright but held proud by the seal. And why do you need a seal between these two parts anyway? However, the seal does fit rather neatly into the recess!

Anyone else care to comment? I would not normally say this but I guess in this instance it cannot be that important as it would appear most owners do not even have the seal fitted!

Cheers,

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:46 pm

David, assemble as Mark says above.See pictures attached....

Brian.
Attachments
P8190045.JPG and
the parts
P8190046.JPG and
seal fitted to upright
P8190047.JPG and
seal shown in caliper bracket recess
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 pm

David

I couldn't find a replacement rubber seal when I rebuilt mine - spoke to Sean at Spyder who says they apply silicone sealant instead of the original seal ....which is what I did.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi,

I assembled the suspension with the O ring in the caliper mounting plate recess, upright side, as suggested by the "team" and it all went together OK. Thanks for your help.

The car sailed through the MOT so another +2 is back on the road in West Yorkshire!

Ride height is a bit high, but I think that is the subject of another post.......

Cheers,

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: