Tyres for elan

PostPost by: umbyfer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am

Hello,

I have to buy a new set of tires 155x13 for my elan sprint for road use for the standard wheels 4.5 (I have also a set of wheels of Plus 2 5.5 with Dunlop 175/70x13)

I was looking here to find some advise, but after reading so many messages i am really confused.

Michelin, unyroyal, avon, vredestein, pirelli,....

I need tires for all weather condition (most on dry, but wet also in winter time or in summer on Alps or during storms)

Why not to open a section where everybody place a vote from 1 to 10 for each tire brand, size, and use (road or track).

I think it is very helpful in order to have a syntetic report.

In meantime in one word tell me what I have to buy from your experience.

Thank you to everybody,
Umberto
Modena
Italy
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 am

I agree this would be useful. I didn't get any really conclusive response from my last email.

An update on where I got to:

- I've retained my existing Goodyear GT2 165/70/13 tyres for now, and fitted them on my new Minilites, which look great
- I've confirmed that a 175/70/13 will comfortably fit in my spare wheel well (diameter-wize, at least - it will obviously raise the level of the boot floor). I have an aluminium replacement tank so I can't confirm it will be OK with the standard tank
- it does look like I have more choices if I go for 175/70/13 - there aren't very many "premium" tyres available in 165, and not the Avon CR6ZZ which I sort of had my eye on.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: