suspension bushes

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Hi,

I noticed a company in the Uk called autobush.com selling poly suspension bushes for the elan. Has anyone fitted this kit?
What are the experiences?
I still run the plus two with rubber bushes but Before I replace I would like to get some info.
I did a search but noticed that most info is years old.
I am not a racer but drive the car the way it has been desigend for.
What a fantastic car it is and I undertand the many owners who have had fast porches/ferraris or other nice stuff but prefer the elan.
My own brother drives an integrale evo 1 and 2 but I prefer driving my plus two.
I do not undertand why these cars are not more popular and that many plus two's end up as spare parts. Criminal in my opinion!
Anyway, Just had a beautifull drive along the coast of Auckland NZ last night with wife and child in the car. Life could not have been more perfect :lol:
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Charlie,

I have the Superflex bushes (from Mick Miller) that cost quite an amount. These have been fitted to the car 2.5 years. Very Good. I saw Autobush last year and the price was so good I bought a pack for the shelf. They look every bit as good, if not better than Superflex.

I have not fitted, so can tell you no more but the compound looks and feels the same grade. As I recall the bushes have rifle bore marks to help the lube stay in place. Also thay have a tube of lube per bush pack.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:15 am

Thanks Mike for the info. Very helpfull and i will order a set.
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:53 am

Robin,

Sorry for calling you Charlie. Senior Moment! :oops: :shock: Though a good name to remember!
You may wish to have a search back through the old postings about the fitting of the Poly' bushes. It has been discussed. They had a bit of an unfair press (IMO) at the time because some of the poor accuracy of the after market bones and less tolerance to this than rubber has.

Mike :)
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:57 am

I installed Autobush bushes on my S2 in the spring. You can read about the installation here. I have since put 3,000 happy miles on them without problems and with no sense of increased harshness.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:40 am

Mike,

like you I have a cardboard box full of poly bushes on a shelf in my garage.
To be fitted as & when.
Mine were not cheap but I expect them to be up to the job, coming from TTR.
You surprised me with your mention of "lubricant". I wasn't made aware of the necessity of that.
Can you let us know what sort / make of lube was supplied with the bushes you have please?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks again for the info, especially the fitting of these bushes which can be a challenge but I am confident that with the help of some tools you can make these fit to the car. I am used to that now anyway with lotus parts, somehow you often have to make alterations
I just would like to add that the pricing seems very competitive, if you compare with others (lotus parts dealers).
Cheers
Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:55 pm

John,

I just opened a pack and the lube is not specified. They have it badged with Autogrease. The instructions say to use only their grease. I would contact Stuart at TTR and get some off them. Failing that, I bet Autobush would send you some for a small fee. Looking in the bushes they are actually cross hatched rifle bored to retain more grease thant the other ones I have seen.

I just read Rotoflexibles account. I carried out measurements and filing and a centring excersise so I knew how much tension I was getting on each bush side on the A frames. Also I made sure that with the crush tubes tight that I could move all the joints on the car. It is a pain building up without dampers and springs but worth it.

Mike :)
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: