rear wheel bearings

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:00 am

I fell into the 'trap' of trying to replace the bearing myself, after all the manual says 'knock the old bearings out..." so how hard can it be? The rear hub came off with a home made tool and then set about trying to knock out the bearings. After about 4 hours I gave up, removed the whole rear suspension assembly and walked (the Elan was my only car at the time) to my friendly Lotus dealer (Peter Day in Cambridge) for help. Peter said it needed around 6 tons of pressure in a press to get the old bearing out... so I would have been hammering away for a very long time....

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

gerrym wrote:Ulf, further advice on Hub puller for KOs, to be used with "old" spinner

Regards

Gerry

That drawing is a bit vague as they seem to have left off the thread markings.

I see that they suggest that you could drill a hole in the centre of an old spinner and tap ut with a thread to take a bolt. THis will push on the shaft and thus pull the hub off.

Howeever I would think that a spinner (brass) is nowhere near strong enough.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Does anyone have the bearing numbers for the inner and outer rear bearings? The ones for the issue 18 housing?
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:50 pm

A ploy I used when removing bearings left on the stub axle after removal.

Get hold of a Dremel (or cheap knock-off in my case) with a cutting wheel and cut the bearing in half. Thoughts of knives and butter spring to mind. :lol:

Stop just short of breaking though to the shaft itself, and tap the slot you have made with a chisel. Job done.

I have changed the bearings "on the car" before, but I can understand the benefit of removing the strut assembly and doing it on the bench. In my case a few hefty blows with a club hammer and soft drift on the nut (refitted to the end of the shaft) was enough to start the shaft moving.

Dave Chapman
Last edited by david.g.chapman on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi,

REAR WHEEL BEARING
Inner SKF 361964 (S. Miller)
411546 (TTR)
411546 (Paul Matty)
Outer SKF 6206.2RS1 (ditto)
NSK 6206DDU (TTR)
FAG 6206.2RSR.C3 <--- from Paul Matty