Worn Steering Rack on S4 - what are my Options

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed May 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi Frank,

Are we talking about the rack that was in car at the time of the accident? I assume it is. What with that, and being unused since 1980, I think a strip down, clean and inspection is warranted. The workshop manual covers the procedure well. Feel is hard to quantify, but the manual gives meaurements for ball-joint torque, pinion end-float etc. You can then ensure proper lubrication on re-assembly. A rack contains "life & limb components" (old Fordspeak) not worth taking risks IMHO.

Good luck - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Richard,

Great advice, ....especially "look at the workshop manual" part. Duh!

Unfortunately when I'm on a conference call at work and trying not to fall asleep, I don't have the manual with me. I'll blow off the dust this evening and will give it a go! Thank you.

Maybe I'll take pics!
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 pm

JJ
No one has mentioned or asked yet if you have checked the shim adjustment in the 'gear box'. If there is were in the pads removing a shim or going to a thinner one will reduce the play in the input shaft. As mentioned above I believe the ball joints on the inner rod ends are adjustable too. Other wear parts will need replacement.
Ken
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:18 pm

lotuselan2 wrote:No one has mentioned or asked yet if you have checked the shim adjustment in the 'gear box'. If there is were in the pads removing a shim or going to a thinner one will reduce the play in the input shaft. As mentioned above I believe the ball joints on the inner rod ends are adjustable too. Other wear parts will need replacement.

When I refurbished two gears a couple of years ago, the only parts that were not readily available were the shims. It was no problem getting small sheets of 3, 5 & 10 thou material to make what was required.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Thu May 20, 2010 11:06 am

Guys,

thanks for the input...

Have just ordered the rack from Paul Mattys.

I rely on the information given to me by my mechanic (and he knows Elans). The T?V (MOT) has diagnosed a worn steering rack and they want it rebuilt. I cannot do it myself and there very very few people actually offering a rebuilding service. Parts may have been available a couple of years ago but may be out of stock today. Plus it can take weeks... :roll:

And it's definitely the rack, not the steering coupling.

Let's see what Paul delivers. :)
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 am

Frank,

The only way I know to get all the old grease out of a rack housing would be to disassemble it. Remove the pinion per shop manual instructions, then remove one of the rod ends and the rack can be removed. Other than the gears themselves, about the only wear part you may wish to replace is the bush at the end of the tube. I got mine from Victoria British over 15 years ago. It will need to be reamed or honed after installation.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear