Front springs

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:20 am

Hi

Apologies if this has been previously asked/answered but does anybody have the measurement for the approx distance between the bottom of a S4/Sprint front wheel arch and the top of the tyre. I'm sure the springs on mine have both settled as the tyre looks remakably close to the wheelarch.

On a related note is it worth fitting slightly stiffer front springs or should I assume the factory knows best on spring rates?

Many thanks.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:05 am

This subject has been debated a number of times, and from memory, the answer was - are the lower wishbones parallel to the ground as per the workshop manual?
As far as the Sprint (and maybe S4) is concerned, I believe they were all fitted with springs that gave a 1" higher ride height to satisfy Federal lighting requirements.
My car, as with most other Sprints I see looked very high at the front due to the 1" factor. I corrected this by fitting adjustable shocks where the ride height can be changed to suit your requirements.
The same can be said for the rear suspension.

From what you describe it appears that your suspension maybe nearer to being correct than standard.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:51 pm

John

Just check someone hasn't fitted Plus 2 springs, they're a good bit shorter than elan one.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi- and thanks for input.

Andy- they won't be plus 2 springs- I've had the car for 30 odd years and it has always been maintained by me. My memory must be going adrift as I'm sure that the front was higher when I replaced these springs about 15 years ago (only around 17000 miles useage since) but I can't be certain. What made me notice was the small crack I noticed in the front wheelarch- I think the tyre has made contact with the body, possibly when hitting a bump mid-corner.

I'll have to look at some archive photos and try to guage the gap between wheelarch and tyre.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Elan front suspension can be improved, last Summer I did total rebuild on my S2 DHC front end... see link below for project.
http://www.elantrikbits.com/front-suspension.html
Col
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 am

Just enough time to snap a picture before getting the BBQ going...it's hot, hot hot out there!

The gap between top of tyre and arch is just over 3 cms with 80 profile tyres...take a look at the spinner with regard to the chrome strip as well.

The pic was taken with the camera at spinner level.

Mark
Attachments
260708 001.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:03 pm

My sprint had a fair gap between the front arch & tyre which gave it a slight nose up stanc when veiwed from the side sounds like the springs have sagged. Changed to adjustable platforms has a better stance must have lowered it 1 inch but does not hit the arch on full bump though
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Gary's "Promotional photos from 1967 brochure" pictures show exactly what happened at the front end.

It's not difficult to see which looks best.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm finding difficulty in seeing which is best looking, Brian...I can't see any difference at all! It's hard to see the gap between tyre and arch, but the centre of the spinner with respect to the chrome strip looks pretty much the same on both.

And my S3 looks the same as those two, and that has the 'standard' front shocks / springs. There is only one spring listed for the 2 seater car that I can find from the usual suspects, whereas the Plus 2 has two sorts...early and late. The difference between early and late Plus 2s is quite noticable...close on a couple of inches in height.

Mark
Attachments
zwheel.jpg and
zwheel 2.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: