Trunnion bush

PostPost by: alan71 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:01 pm

I had some play in my trunnion bushes (or lower ball joints as my MOT man calls them) so I decided to replace them with some poly bushes from Superflex. When I fitted them the steel tube is recessed in the bush.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Are my trunnions wider than normal?
Should I just trim a bit of the end of the bush?

Alan.
Attachments
trunnion bush.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Alan,

I think there is some confusion going on here. Your trunnion to my knowledge has triumph parts (only) to replace the old kit. This consists of a tube and two top hat sections (made from odd plastic type material, forgot the name) and two rubber seals and 4 pieces of tin. The item that you show on the photo does not look right. I was unawre that Supeflex did anthying for this area. The late Mick Miller (Susan Miller) had the rights to the Supeflex kit for the suspension bushes and only they supply them for Superflex.

If you have no Lotus books showing the trunnions go on the web on a Triumph site and look at Spitfire and GT6 verical links and the triunnions. Canley classics are a good site, they have exploded views.

Did you not take this apart yourself, as you should have a full compliment of the old parts, albiet worn.

Not being funny, but your kit looks wrong. I would stick to standard parts.

Is your vertical link worn or your trunnion (or both). When the trunnion is screwed on the link, is it snug fit? Were the old trunnion bushes shot?

Mike
:?
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:35 pm

It looks perfectly OK to me - just like the Superflex repair kit shown in the Buckland manual.
Reuse the washers and seals as they are not wear items.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:46 am

Alan

I take it the red bushes shown are the new poly. ones with a new stainless tube?

Seems to me there will be a 3mm gap inbetween the bushes (no problem) it looks like the s/s tube protrudes by about 3mm which should be a dead fit in the trunion when assembled...

Go for it..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:27 am

I am replacing the old Triumph type parts as the plastic bush is obviously worn and the steel tube is rusty. I assumed you don?t need the seals and dust covers with the poly bushes.

The problem is with the poly bushes fitted they are wider than the length of the steel tube so when I put it back together they are clamped between the wishbones.

I have taken a few more measurements, the old and new steel tubes are the same length (and the same as the bottom mounting of the damper) the difference seems to be the thickness of the brim of the top hat part of the bush, it?s 1mm more on the new bushes.

Alan.
Attachments
new & old bushes.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HardTop » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:34 am

A quick look at my spares box ( i think correct part)
Axial view diameters 29mm 19.4mm 14.5 mm
lateral view overall 15.6mm flange 3mm
Hope this helps
HardTop
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:58 am

Alan

Bearing in mind poly. is more pliable than plastic,I think it will compress the required amount....go for it...

P.S. keep the "dustshields" and rubbers as they stop the ingress of road crap which will undo all your good work...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Just looked in Brian Buckland's book and seen the Superflex kits. You live and learn. :oops:
However unless you are going to be drivng lots of mile in wet conditions, would you be bothered about the mild steel tube in the old type kit. On the three cars I have had the copper slip has still protected the tube. The steel washers tend to rust.

I have ploy' bushes all around on my S4 but cant see any advantage in using it here if it is going to compress. If it does clamp up are you not going to prevent movement in this joint.

Mike :
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:32 pm

Poly bushes are more compliant for all suspension needs, and should give a more consistent ride in all conditions.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:51 pm

I tried just bolting it up but the poly bush doesn?t compress. I was going to try trimming a bit of the length but while I was reading Mike?s post I thought why not buy an original type repair kit for 4 quid and use it with the stainless steel tubes, best of both worlds? The rubber seals and covers are past it anyway.

Thanks for all your replies, Alan
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Alan

Don't throw the poly bushes away,they can be used in your door hinges

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: