Replacement shock absorbers

PostPost by: jimbo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm

The rear shocks on my car are knocking so I am planning on replacing them. I've been offered a choice of Spax, Koni or Protech adjustables (cheapest to most expensive in ascending order). I dont plan any track use for the car. :?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Also, I am inclined to change the fronts at the same time so the car has a balanced set all round. A prudent decision or a waste of money?

Thanks!

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:50 pm

I like the koni's. I think it is worth it to do all at once.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Koni gets my vote

I wouldn't fit Spax to a wheelbarrow :shock:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The back end is currently in bits so I don't have that long to decide. Anyone else?
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm

jimbo wrote:The rear shocks on my car are knocking ...

Knocking? Make sure there's nothing loose, and if there is, fix the problem when you replace the shocks. One of my old Koni's had failed to the extent that it contained more air than oil - terrible ride, but it didn't knock.

I went for new Konis at the back and TTR "road" shocks (actually GAZ, I believe) and springs at the front. I installed the narrow springs at the rear, so both front and rear springs are slightly stiffer than stock. I have ride height adjustibility at both ends. I also installed poly bushings. I am delighted with the results - the car rides and handles so much better than before. The ride is firm and well controlled but still supple. A very worthwhile upgrade, especially considering the previous state of things!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi James,

Given TTR's race pedigree, I went their route both front and rear.
Gaz fast road balanced struts, narrow springs etc.

Excellent and economical results, and the inserts can be rebuilt/replaced.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I just looked at the TTR price list and from what I can see they have their own fronts (TTRSS041 - ?226 + VAT) and supply Koni rears (?280 + VAT). Is that correct?
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:35 pm

I believe that TTR front shock-spring units are based on GAZ shocks. I don't know how much (if any) value TTR adds to what GAZ supplies. I got my front shocks from RD Enterprises, who re-sell TTR in the US. They replaced ancient original-ish (may have been Koni) shocks and worn springs - literally worn from rubbing on their shrouds. The TTRs are adjustable both in shock stiffness and ride height, and no assembly of the springs to the shocks is required. I am thrilled to have them.

The rear Konis are same as they ever were - adjustable, but must be removed from the car (not from the strut, though) in order to adjust. They are pretty firm at their softest setting. If you fit a narrow-spring package, you may find that its upper spring perch positions the top of the shock rod lower with respect to the frame than the original mount. (That was the case with the Dave Bean units I bought.) This results in more rear suspension droop, which may in turn cause non-Rotoflex driveshafts to bind. A reduced-stroke Koni rear insert is available but it may be stiffer, for racing purposes.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: