Brake Fail light

PostPost by: faceman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:31 am

How is the Brake Faill ight on the dash board triggered. Just recently mine has started flickering occasionally whilst driving and occasionally staying on for 30 seconds or so. Everything seems fine, brakes work OK, fluid levels OK. When i use the brakes the light'll go out so I thinks it's connected to brakes somehow rather than just a short somewhere....
faceman
New-tral

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi faceman!

Another +2 in Ireland.....we're fast becoming a +2 ghetto!!!

As far as i know the warning light is supposed to come on when the fluid level is low.

On my +2 this has happened....when the fluid level is low.

This works by way of a float that sits in the Brake Master filler lid.

When fluid levels are correct the float is up, when fluid levels lower the float will be lower till eventually it is low enough to close an electric circuit (again in the lid).

Could there be a problem there?

Or maybe it's totally unrelated!!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dgently » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Faceman,

I'm another Paddy in a (c. red) Plus 2. Is yours yellow with a silverflake roof?

As Peter explained above, it sounds like your fluid level has dropped and is triggering the sensor in the cap of your brake master cylinder.

DG
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:14 pm

As the float gets old, it can cease to float, causing the symptoms you have... :lol:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:49 pm

and the float really is just a bit of old cork so you can easily replace it yourself, gently pull off the ally tube to get at it.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Yes, mine is just an old cork and I thought it must be a bodge by a previous owner :!: :shock:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 pm

On my 1969 federal LHD +2 the brake fail light is triggered by a differential in pressure between the front and rear brake circuits. I assume your euro versions are single circuit systems.

Bob
1969 Elan +2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: