Rear Inner Wishbone Mountings

PostPost by: Gopherit » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm

(See picture below - worth 2k of my words!)
I have just re-assembled my rear suspension (+2) and fitted new bolts to the inner wishbone mountings. The previous ones were in reasonable condition but did not give 2 pitches clear of the Nylocs when tightened.

The official workshop manual notes that the bolts should be fitted with the heads innermost. This is difficult to fit with the shorter bolts and impossible (without using a greek screwdriver) with my longer bolts, hence I fitted the bolts with their heads outermost.

I cannot see that this should make a difference. Greatest loading on the bolts fitted as recommended will be when the wishbone moves upwards at the outboard end and it could be reasoned that there is a minute chance that the nut could be undone - but unlikely I think. The reverse is true with the bolts mounted with the heads on the outside.

Anyone see me having a problem with this arrangement?
Attachments
P1120779c.JPG and
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:22 pm

On the Elan [perhaps the same for the +2] if you don't fit the bolts with the heads facing inwards you can't remove them when the body is back on!

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I ditto that, I made that mistake :oops:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gopherit » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the +2: all this work is being done with the body on.
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:26 pm

The reason the bolts should be fitted with the nuts innermost is down to the correct engineering practice of holding the bolt whilst turning the nut when doing the fastener up. Fitting the other way round means the bolt has to be turned to tighten it, this will prevent the correct torque being applied as potentially the bolt will twist over its length and therefore the correct torque cannnot be applied.

Bear in mind that all of the suspension arm bolts should only be torqued up when the suspension is loaded (and therefore with the body in place, )so that the lower arms are horizontal/parallel to the ground, it makes sense to fit the bolts during the production process to allow for the required access to the nuts for the final tightening to the correct torque.

However in a maintenance situation, it isn't always possible to achieve this! You have two options, one is to cut down your new bolts and struggle to fit them the 'correct' way round, or do as you have done and get on with enjoying your car!

I like most have done mine the latter way when restoring my chassis(body off) with an eye/thought to future maintenance along with copious amounts of anti sieze compound.

regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:50 am

It looks like the bushes are of the Poly type so there is no need to torque up with the suspension in the normal ride height.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: